Sydney to Cape York

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveClayton

Reaction score
Hi guys!

So I've been living in Sydney for over three years now and it's time I started making the most of this awesome country.
Planning on heading up to the cape at the end of June with my brother in law. He's 19 and likes the idea of female backpackers heading up there for the warmer weather too...

I've driven Sydney-Cairns a couple of times and we will be aiming to get there in two days. I know that we won't see anything etc but the 'holiday' starts in cairns for us.

From Cairns, not too sure! Need to sit down and actually work out which route to take to the cape. The telegraph track looks too hardcore with the river crossings and all that. Want to avoid the Tarmac if possible too, though.

Can't wait to get going!

We leave in 23 days from dubbo, like you hoping to get to cairns in two days and then plan the trip as we go. I hate being locked into havin to be somewhere so haven't made any bookings. Well be doing the telegraph track up and back as looking for the hardest way there so prob can't help with track choices lol.

from what ive heard it is almost a must to book into camp sites, yeah i know it sucks and it seems to be missing the point of the trip but i have spoke to a few guys who just winged it and were constantly forced from one site to another and when they pulled up on the side of the road from having no where else they were moved on from there saying you must stay in designated areas.
I was once really keen to do the trip but if i have to book in everywhere and not be able to stay longer in a spot if its the goods or move on if its not, just seems to restrictive, so i might plan on a different route thats no so popular instead.

From what I've been told by mates that have done it, there's always a better free spot just up the road. Not keen on being herded into a paid campin area ontop of everyone else.

I had a feeling it might be like that. A few nights at camping grounds with showers wouldn't be too much of an issue though. It's the thought of pulling wicked campers out of the dirt that bothers me more haha

Yea that's one reason we are avoiding the development rd

From what I've been told by mates that have done it, there's always a better free spot just up the road. Not keen on being herded into a paid campin area ontop of everyone else.

Only going off what I've been told it's the free spots that are full and you still need to book a plot with the rangers, apparently it's so busy now you can't drive for two minutes with out seeing another group of cars.
Sounds to hectic for me, I like to be in places that are a bit quieter, not a massive fan of theme parks and that's what the cape trip sounds like its turned into, sticks of people trying to tick it off there bucket list because they seen it on tv

Only going off what I've been told it's the free spots that are full and you still need to book a plot with the rangers, apparently it's so busy now you can't drive for two minutes with out seeing another group of cars.
Sounds to hectic for me, I like to be in places that are a bit quieter, not a massive fan of theme parks and that's what the cape trip sounds like its turned into, sticks of people trying to tick it off there bucket list because they seen it on tv

Ill let you know in a months time :redcool:

crap still 17 weeks before i go.
still have heaps of prep and stuff to do to the nav so it will go quickly ..........i hope :(

Check out Gillians in Cairns to meet up with some young hard body backpackers :) Not that I would know but I do know the young blokes at work have great time when they go there.

Latest posts

Back