Tekonsha P3 Electric Brakes controller question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sundowner2

Reaction score
I have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller installed on my Navara D40, the caravan brakes seem to operate ok...my understanding is the voltage supplied to the brakes is dependant on the controller settings and the rate of vehicle deceleration but also that these settings are overruled when the hand lever is operated, why is it then that, using a DMM I am finding that I am only seeing 10 vdc with the lever fully moved...should it not be the full battery voltage allowing for some droppage, ie > 12vdc??

Paul

Thanks.

Wow, nobody answered this!

Voltage drop depends on cable length and amount of load. With a 6 sq mm cable over the 6m from front of car to rear plus say another 6m to the axles of the van seeing a voltage drop like that when the load comes on isn't actually a surprise. What is a surprise is that some installers will use 4mm cable - it's rated at 20A, sure, and your brakes will draw (for 10" drums) 3.3A each so that's 13.2A across two axles - within the rating of the cable, but unfortunately turns the cable into a heating element. And yes, it gets hot enough to melt the insulation - and then the caravan has no brakes at all.

So, step 1: check ALL of the cable. Car and van. If either is thin, that's your culprit right there.

Step 2: make sure the 12-pin connector (you ARE using 12pin, with a viable earth return?) has good connections on both sides. I rewired mine and brought an earth on 21 sqmm cable to the rear and connected it to the plug (yes, I had to strip a little of the wire away to fit it in there). The earth return is important because it makes the electrical circuit complete.

Step 3: Grab your DMM and measure the amps going into each magnet. A standard 10" drum brake magnet should pull about 3.3A give or take a little. If it's drawing more, it might be faulty - and the more it draws, the larger the voltage drop.

Latest posts

Back