electric brake controller

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayseas

Reaction score
Hi everybody ,I'm completly new to all this ,at 63 yrs old, I have never written to or been a member of a forum before.however I have just bought a 2006 D40 deisel STX,to tow our 21 ft caravan I have also just bought,With which my wife and I plan to tour Australia in our retirement,and looking forward to it!! My question is about Electric brake controllers,I have purchased a Tekonsha prodigy controller and wonderd if anybody out there could shed some light on the best way to connect it up ie:do you know of any shortcuts etc,kind regards to everbody. PS very happy with the Navara.

Welcome aboard!

You might find some shortcuts could be taken but they run several risks and I strongly suggest against them. Here's how mine is set up, and how I would suggest you set yours up.

1) Obtain a bunch of 6sqmm electrical cable. It's the best thing to handle the current involved.
2) Install two 30A thermal breakers near the battery.
3) Run one cable pair (positive & negative into the cabin to the brake controller
4) Run one cable pair down along the chassis, stop near the cabin
5) Connect the controller somewhere handy. Mine is near my left knee
6) Run the cable back out of the cabin to meet the other cable
7) Run both cables towards the back, keeping them as protected as possible
8) Use a 12-pin flat connector so that you have 5 heavy connectors for brake and auxiliary power

It's a little more expensive to do it this way, but in the end you can deliver all the electrical power you need in complete safety. Electric brakes will draw about 6.5A max per wheel, which means (21' vans being dual axle) 26A is needed. So that you don't heat the wires up (the distance is the killer here) you need to use much larger cable.

I'd love to give you a short-cut but if I did all I'd be recommending is a short trip.

Enjoy!

Back