Temporarily disable abs?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busiboy

Reaction score
Hey guys, after skating on some clay for a considerable distance today and buying an offroad caravan I'm motivated to have a go at disabling my ABS, I did a search and found too many threads on unrelated things I thought I'd ask the navara oracle . . . .

So has it been done? Easily and not throwing codes?

2012 stx

Stupid question, how does it make you slide on clay?

I think i may have seen a topic kicking around here too. Have you tried the search?

Stupid question, how does it make you slide on clay?

I think i may have seen a topic kicking around here too. Have you tried the search?

I didn't slide I skated, the wheels kept turning because each time they locked the abs fought me and released them, the ONLY way I know to stop on wet clay is to lock it up.

Something letting me turn it off to lock up when I need to stop on a slippery surface would be great.

As per my first comment, I searched, ABS is too short, combined with brakes I got too much random stuff and couldn't find anything useful sifting through everything.

disconnect a cable or pull a fuse
i have had no abs for 12 mths now cause a cable broke and ime not paying $400 for a 70 cm piece of wire

Not only is the 4WD function dependent on the ABS sensors, but so is the odometer, the tripmeter and the speedo.

The speedo governs several other important functions, most notably the cooling system (under 45km/h it will pull the air through faster).

In a word - you can't disable it.

My preference - and it's my driving style and what I'm used to - is to be able to steer. We had some exciting fun in a state forest once when we saw some incoming weather, packed our things and started heading off - only to be confronted by a deluge on soft clay. Being a forest trail it was neither level nor straight - and locking the front wheels (when towing, no less) would have been utterly dangerous.

For me, on that sort of terrain, I just do it slow. 4LO for maximum traction and take my time with no risk to me, the other occupants or the vehicle.

On the same topic different vehicle I am wanting to know if this is possible for the d22. I was thinking of using a switch to deactivate when I am in 4wd as it bugs me when I'm trying to stop on a hill and it wants me to keep going.

Rusty

In previous cars in burnout comps, we used to just pull the fuse to let the car stay on the spot. Old.Tony makes a great point in what else uses the system, I'd not have thought of that, but in saying so, if it's just for a short period offroad, it may warrant not having an odometer, tripmeter and speedo, but if it effects the 4wd system, that would be a concern

On the same topic different vehicle I am wanting to know if this is possible for the d22. I was thinking of using a switch to deactivate when I am in 4wd as it bugs me when I'm trying to stop on a hill and it wants me to keep going.

Rusty

pull a cable off rusty
i can lock all 4 wheels if i brake hard
never was a fan of abs

disconnect a cable or pull a fuse
i have had no abs for 12 mths now cause a cable broke and ime not paying $400 for a 70 cm piece of wire
so u dont use 4x4 that often i take it last time i broke mine i just twisted them back together and it worked fine

that being the case u should be able to wire a toggle switch into the abs line and be able to turn it off and on at will just make sure u are already in low range before u turn it off

that being the case u should be able to wire a toggle switch into the abs line and be able to turn it off and on at will just make sure u are already in low range before u turn it off

no you cant
abs wire is very sensitive to any resistance

so u dont use 4x4 that often i take it last time i broke mine i just twisted them back together and it worked fine

what has abs got to do with how often i use 4wd,which is quite often
i couldnt twist em back together cause they were ripped out of sensor
and i prefer no abs anyway

ABS has everything to do with it in the D40, Sparra. No ABS = no 4WD.

The resistance issue is really easy to overcome.

One switch in the dash that connects positive power via a 5A fuse out to 4 relays spliced directly into the ABS lines. Next to zero resistance change and all 4 ABS lines neatly disabled. It won't matter WHICH line is cut - one is power, one is signal return. Interrupt either one and the ABS for that wheel is dead.

I do NOT know what will happen if you engage 4LO then break the ABS lines. The car might remain in 4LO, it might trigger the transfer unit into switching back to 2HI on its own.

If you break a ABS line while in low range it will stay in low range until you switch it back into 2wd but once u do that u can not switch it back in 4x4 without a new abs line or rejoining the wires.

Latest posts

Back