Tent V Swag V The roof top tent I cant afford? Whats best?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmma221

Reaction score
Hay guys, Ok so i cant afford a roof top tent and the internal and external bars to go in the canopy, so in that case, my question to you is-

What is better, tent or swag?

What brands do you guys use? Why do you prefer them?

(Keep in mind If I buy a swag, it will need to be a double because of the missus).
Cheers guys

Hey mate I bought myself one of these after going through all the options of tent v's swag etc. Queen size air bed fits nicely with a little room left over for your boots or small bags.
Blackwolf | Gobt | Gobi :: Leisuregear
Will also add that LeisureGear are excellent to deal with!

Cheers Brad

I love my single swag but my missus would insist on a tent for better weather protection, somewhere to get changed, keep your clothes etc.

Swags are great in dry weather and as long as you've got somewhere else to get changed (or are remote enough that you're the only person there). They are quicker than just about anything else around to set up.

They aren't however much fun when it's raining a lot in my experience. Some people hang a tarp from the ute to a tree or the ground over the swags which helps a lot. Or if you've got one of those 4x4 awnings that would do similar.

I just find it hard without somewhere to stand out of the rain when it's raining for a long time...

Last edited:
When I started camping I used a tent. Carried it on my motorbike and travelled everywhere.

It was natural that when I started taking my family camping, we'd use tents and we moved from the fast-setup 4-man dome tent (I can get one up in a couple of minutes) to a double-dome 14-person tent for the wife & I, with the main room used for eating, refrigerator, battery, chairs & table - for 4 people - the daughters used their own tents (personal choice).

Rain was a problem in setting up and pulling down, it's horrid to have all that wet material around, but it's do-able. Biggest problem is the setup/pulldown time. What should have taken minutes to achieve ended up taking hours, with the gazebo, folding tables, extra tarps etc etc. I ended up hating it.

So we bought a small caravan. Superb. It was so good that when the caravan started to fall apart, we were eager to find another and we ended up with the double-axle van that we have now.

Even if it were a small pop-up camper it would have been an improvement over what we had, and I know that you can buy these second-hand for a couple of thousand - do the little bit of work that's needed and off you go. All-weather, minimal setup time, increased carrying capacity compared to tents, easy to tow.

It depends on how hard you're wanting to do it. You can get big vans into difficult places if you are careful enough, so little pop-up campers are a breeze. For something truly hard like the CSR, towing anything at all is not recommended and a roof-top tent is the way to go, but a normal tent that doesn't take forever to set up would be more than satisfactory.

I use a swag when on my own. A small tent (hiking quality for when the weather gods are pissed) when the missus is with me and a 6 man when the kids are about (has somewhere sit out rain).

But remember that you can always hire a camp trailer.

When I reluctantly take the Missus we use a tent. On my own a swag on a stretcher under the awning is brilliant.

I have a large dome tent with annex but am on the lookout for a 30 second tent on ebay coz I'm a lazy bugger!

They are a good tent but a bugger to store and carry. I would go for their Jet tent over the 30sec , they look far more practical.

All depends on your style mate.

I have a double swag which fits the Missus and I comfortably with enough room for the dog to curl up at my feet ontop of the swag. When it's raining, I either run a tarp from the nav over head with a few poles, or roll the swag out under one of those pop-up gazebo things. Works a treat!

A friend of mine recently bought one of those pop-up 3man tents from ebay for him and his women. We where both rather impressed with it! It was a pain in the ass to pack up the first time, but once you get the hang of them there really easy!

Last edited:
The Oz Tent 30 sec tents are very good (I want one - but I also want a new hiking tent $700 2kg, a new sleeping bag $1100 1.5 kg, new boots $450, new thermette $100 and the list goes on & on & on ... & on & on :s:).

Unfortunately, there is only one way to work out what suits you. And that is to pick an option (buy, hire or borrow) and give it a go. Just remember that if you buy quality you can always move it on with out too many dramas.

Tent... allows you to experiment with more positions! Chica bow wow. But yeah, misses = tent for privacy.
Like the idea of hiring a camper trailer for longer trips though as can't afford one!

Latest posts

Back