Tenting it in winter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't tell whether I feel incredibly jealous, or dreadfully wary, of you guys that sleep with very little clothing on in a tent. Either you have marvellous bladder control, or you don't mind sleeping in it.

Personally, I rug up well, because I know without a doubt that at some point in the night, I have to get up, and there's no way I want to crawl out and freeze.

:rofl2: I'm not old enough for that to be a problem, yet. When we go hiking my missus always needs to go through the night - I've quietly giggled to myself as she has trudged off into the night, through 2 feet of snow with the trowel in hand lol.

Haha IM with buck truck RUMMM I'm in biloela about an hour from cania gorge matey Make sure you got plenty of warm was 0 at work last night. cania camp grounds are really nice though and saturday night they do wood fired pizza's Have a great time.

Thanks for all the replies, there is some pretty good info there to take on board. We have a jet tent that we all pile into. (myself.wifey and three boys 7 and under). We have been to Cania a couple of times but in the warmer months) as it has great facilities for the kids. This will be our first camping trip in winter since we have had the kids.
Will defintely have a roaring fire for warmth before turning in and will definetly be consuming a few rums for internal body warmth!

I can't tell whether I feel incredibly jealous, or dreadfully wary, of you guys that sleep with very little clothing on in a tent. Either you have marvellous bladder control, or you don't mind sleeping in it.

Personally, I rug up well, because I know without a doubt that at some point in the night, I have to get up, and there's no way I want to crawl out and freeze.

Not sure if this helps though on the really cold nights i actually shove my clothes in my sleeping bag as well...well really a top and pants so when i get up and need to put them on, they're warm and i'm not putting on cold clothes

:rofl2: I'm not old enough for that to be a problem, yet. When we go hiking my missus always needs to go through the night - I've quietly giggled to myself as she has trudged off into the night, through 2 feet of snow with the trowel in hand lol.

but, but, all you need is boots in snow. <VBG>

Old Tony,

I usually need to get up around 4 - 5am every night for a leak, out bush I only wonder about a 10m from the Tent . . . in underwear most of the time, when in a caravan park . . . well I dress up with a pair of 'shorts', for a 2 to 5min dash I don't worry about ruging up, just a quick turn around and back into the sleeping back as fast as possibly.

I am glad I still have one of my old Army Sleeping Bags, the number of times in my Army Reserves days that I had crawled into them fully clothed wet and muddy on rainy nights, only to wake up in the morning dry, easy to clean and dry, well still a good sleeping bag for 4WDing/Camping in my books.

Had a quick look through so I apologise if this is rehashing or not needed anymore but I thought I might have something to add here.

A closed cell foam mattress will make any ground warm enough to sleep on, cheap and effective, put it on top of the more comfortable less insulating mattress.

Generally the most you want to wear in a sleeping bag is thermals (polypro or merino), something close hugging to the skin. After this let your sleeping bag do the work.

If you are cold still, socks and beanie. And as a last resort fleece not more than the 100 weight stuff. If you have too many clothes on the moisture from your body will not escape and it will kill all the loft. Remember it is not just warm, you want to be dry and warm. Anywhere that there is a water molecule a warm air pocket can not be there.

If your tent has a lot of mesh it will be colder if you can zip covers over the mesh that will help as well, but make sure there is air flow. Crack the zips at the bottoms of the doors then have something open as close to the top centre that you can. That will draw out the moist air and stop condensation.

Hope any of this helps.

Dan

Latest posts

Back