The Places I Go

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2402931760_1e67f9ef3d_b.jpg

Along the short stretch of road that winds through ranch land between the Sunset Crater National Monument and the Wupatki National Monument, we spotted a dog that was approaching the road whenever a car would go by.
She looked small and scared and hungry. She was.

As we approached she came out of hiding and stared at us as we came along to her stretch of the road. We parked and she went back into hiding.

It took somewhere between a half hour and hour to coax her out, give her water and food, and gain her trust.
We started calling her Koki because we found her near <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/fangars/865902806/">Wukoki Pueblo Ruins</a>.
Those are my wife's feet, we are trying to gain her trust and slowly we do get it, mostly won by the several emergency dog biscuits we keep stashed in the Xterra.
We got her into the Xterra and she was slightly panicked but so sick and tired she could not even put up a struggle. We sped by all the awesome light that was begging for pictures to be taken but we were concerned about the pup and her need for water and nourishment.
We drove into the nearest store in town and bought dog food and a leash. We already had a dog bowl we keep in the Xterra for these kind of occasions.
That night she slept in the Xterra and we slept in the tent, coyotes were going crazy that night and were making their typical horrifying coyote sounds all around the camp ground. This probably scared the pup and mixed with the food she was not used to eating the fear was too much and she puked all over our Xterra covering as much as a small dog's shrunken stomach could cover.
Thats when we discovered she had been eating the sage brush in the desert. It smelled like dog food puke and sage, still does to this day five years later.
She was too sick to bring back home to Phoenix and we were afraid of possible ailments spreading to our five dogs still at home. We brought her to the Humane Society in Flagstaff who told us they had the best adoption rate in he country and that after hearing our story it was clear we should leave her with them to get her back to health.
We donated the leash, dog food and $50 to her cause and wished her the best. The wife cried a bit but we really had no better alternative.

This pic below is her, but the camera was set for low light and there is some motion blur distorting her face a bit as it was turning. The following pics are pics I shot out the window as my wife drove us back to the closest store in Flagstaff. Not the most exciting story but its one we can't forget.
This pic makes here look bigger then she actually was.
1198042399_4e42477350_o.jpg

2289294526_34e724aa60_b.jpg

3422700746_5fb3953f55_b.jpg

4084433042_02e7825cbb_b.jpg

I was not very good at photography or editing back when I took this but it is a shot taken from the higher elevations of Sunset Crater looking North towards the lower desert region where Wupatki is located.
I attempted to bring out the details of the back ground by juicing up the colors. Mission accomplished but it made the image look very cheesy. I should search for the original and try another edit.
349961223_92f1b292bd_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back