The V6 Diesel D40 has arrived.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ekka mine has done the same twice with the roaring noise. Usually at low speed or take off.
Lid lock still on order. Had the oil and filter changed Friday. I will have to get a second job to pay for the oil. $148 plus gst oil alone, filter only about $20.
My ECB is supplied and fitted for $2300. Should be here next week. OME suspension lifted vehicle about 40mm, ride firmer than origional.
I was going to adjust the headlight aim yesterday as I feel they are to wide apart but cannot find any adjustment mechanism, any one got any info on same?
plod

Plod if you find the adjustment mechanism for the lights let us know as I will be fitting a set of 4300k 55w HID's and they may need adjusting.
hunter

Hi Guys,

I have experienced the same roar in mine twice now. It happened when the engine was not up to norman operating temperature and I thought it may have been the turbo.

I have also got a distinct hesitation when I press the accelerator from a standing start. Stop at the lights and press the throttle to take off and it almost stalls - getting worse every day.

Doug

Hi Guys,

I had the same roaring noise from mine, sounded like a thermo fan on steroids, the temperatures in the engine bay are rediculously hot, I opened the bonnet and could barely touch the little rod thing that holds the bonnet up.

On a more serious note, I think my Turbo has shit itself, or is just starting to, has a nasty scratchy bearing noise, especially when backing off throttle under load, if its at about 2000 rpm & back off throttle it gives a squeal, i'll take it to nissan tomorrow and see what they say. Anyone else had this problem? Or any other ideas as to what it might be? I'm not a mechanic.

Rich

I checked it out Tony and all looks OK to me. The Nav has only done 2000 k and it looked clean.

Doug

I wonder if there's a lubrication problem with the turbos? How does your turbo sound?

Game enough to pop the intake off and give the compressor wheel a spin while the engine's cold? Make sure your hands are clean, including under your fingernails, and no dust on the hoses before you pull 'em apart.

I wouldn't mind Rich trying this either, since his turbo seems to be making noise. Could be a bad bearing batch, or perhaps something about the oil delivery system that needs fixing?

I had a sneaking suspicion that -2psi or more of intake restriction would take its toll on the turbo.

They used the same airbox that the 2.5 Has had for the last few years on a motor making alot more power and running alot more boost.

With that much restriction it continually places the bearings under more thrust load than usual.

Will be interesting to see what Nissan say the problem is.

I had a sneaking suspicion that -2psi or more of intake restriction would take its toll on the turbo.

They used the same airbox that the 2.5 Has had for the last few years on a motor making alot more power and running alot more boost.

With that much restriction it continually places the bearings under more thrust load than usual.

Will be interesting to see what Nissan say the problem is.

Nissan say its a normal sound, something about boost pressure being released blah blah blah, doesn't sound anything like that to me, more like bearings about to explode.
Will keep an eye on it.
Interestingly the mechanic did check any hoses weren't loose and mentioned that the intake pipe blows up like a balloon on boost, got me thinking about hard piping?

Nissan really did cut corners when getting this motor in there.
Normal D40 Airbox, plumbing from the 147kw motor etc...

If they had done it all properly they could have labeled it the STX660 and it would have probably lasted longer than the current ones will.

They use the wire wrap around the hose to try and limit the swelling. But its still not ideal.

Will do a hard pipe kit for them soon enough.

Nissan say its a normal sound, something about boost pressure being released blah blah blah, doesn't sound anything like that to me, more like bearings about to explode.
Will keep an eye on it.
Interestingly the mechanic did check any hoses weren't loose and mentioned that the intake pipe blows up like a balloon on boost, got me thinking about hard piping?

I'm going to change my 2.5's air plumbing over to hard pipe sooner or later. Not because it balloons on boost - I doubt mine does - but because I want to make sure they neither collapse nor expand at all.

Your turbo sits on top of the engine's 'V', which means the plumbing around it will be super-hot. I remember my Jaguar's engine was incredibly hot in that region - so hot that it would cook normal spark plug leads. I would imagine that replacing the air plumbing in the V6 diesel would be a brilliant move and I really can't see Nissan having anything bad to say about it.

I'm going to change my 2.5's air plumbing over to hard pipe sooner or later. Not because it balloons on boost - I doubt mine does - but because I want to make sure they neither collapse nor expand at all.

Your turbo sits on top of the engine's 'V', which means the plumbing around it will be super-hot. I remember my Jaguar's engine was incredibly hot in that region - so hot that it would cook normal spark plug leads. I would imagine that replacing the air plumbing in the V6 diesel would be a brilliant move and I really can't see Nissan having anything bad to say about it.

I bet if the turbo lets go they will have plenty bad to say about the hard pipe!

Northside- Keep us in the loop re any mods you come up with, always interested.
PS i'm heading Brissy way soon if you need another look at a V6 Diesel

Frenchie,

What make of fuel tank did you get and what did it cost all up? Iron Man are going to measure my 550 to see if their tank will fit.

Doug

dont know the make. Got it from Coastal 4x4 here in Perth. Give them a call and ask for Dave. Got all the gear from them including the ECB bar which looks awesome on the car. Nice and chunky

Anyone got some pics of their 550 with the ECB bar fitted yet...
Seen a couple on the ecb site but keen to see what i looks like on others ccars...
Also what did you pay and what state. I have been told 2595 and 2650 from Two diiferent places here in Perth...

Hey Chookc.
Check out mine that I took delivery of. ECB black poweder coated with XGT HID (240mm)

Latest posts

Back