The ZD30 timebomb?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbo

Reaction score
I own a 06/07 STR 3.0 Nav. and have had it for about 4 years with very few problems. Before buying it I randomly went to about for different 4wd mechanics to find out if there were any issues with the D22's. I had owned a couple of Hilux's before this and most of the mechanics said that they were much on a par with the Lux's with no mention of major problems. Since buying the Nav I've heard a few stories, mainly from Patrol owners about the problems with the ZD30 engines that are in both vehicles. Just recently I was looking through a 4WD magazine and it mentioned a few times about the ticking timebomb that is the ZD30!!
Now I imagine if there are inherent problems here that there would be numerous posts and information about it on the forums here. I tried searching with 'ZD30 problems' but not much came up. Could somebody just point me in the right direction to help find any info about what the issues are and what can be done about it.
Thanks.

Gday timbo. The zd in the patrol has some different bits & yes they were a time bomb early on. The zd in the d22 is far more reliable - if serviced.

as had been stated keep up to the services and it will be ok, that means oil and coolant, there is post on the aussie 4wd d22 flopbook page about how many k's on you a ZD's and some of the responses are pretty impressive!

Don't believe all you hear on the net. By 06 they changed the dipstick and fixed the issue with the cylinder that failed. The early models simply did not have enough oil in the sump and the dipstick gave a false reading.

I also advise blocking the egr and cleaning the intake manifold because as it gets blocked it starves the engine fot air. Not the right fuel air mix leads to engine failure.

Back