thoughts on matt black bonnet?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1303

Reaction score
Ive recently installed a LED bar on my roof rack and sadly its a touch further forward then i thought and there's a bit of glare coming off the bonnet.

because i cant move the light back im looking into my options of helping reduce the glare...

i thought about Matt blacking the bonnet... what do you lot think?

plasti dip or vinal wrap?

any other suggestions?

cheers
mick

I've been using plasti dip for a few weeks now on my side steps, the checkerplate with its sharp edges has proven to be troublesome, is it better on flat surfaces strength wise?

What about if you installed a plate under the light so that no light gets on the bonnet?

That's a good idea. I'll have to have a play and see how far out it would need to extend... If it needs to be allot I can't see it lasting with the wind of the windscreen/looking any good
3mm flat should hold thou?

I'd look at the plate first, then the plasti-dip. Don't bother painting it matt black - a trucker I was chatting with one day was completely pissed that he'd allowed a young unemployed guy who was super-keen to do some paid work to wash his truck. He was so enthusiastic that he polished the matt black engine housing cover on the truck until it was glossy - took the poor bastard quite a while, apparently, and defeated the purpose of having it (stopping morning/afternoon glare). He had to have it resprayed - but to the guy's credit, he acknowledged the young bloke's efforts and paid him anyway.

Moral of the story - if you ARE painting your bonnet matt black, don't let anyone else clean it!

I'd look at the plate first, then the plasti-dip. Don't bother painting it matt black - a trucker I was chatting with one day was completely pissed that he'd allowed a young unemployed guy who was super-keen to do some paid work to wash his truck. He was so enthusiastic that he polished the matt black engine housing cover on the truck until it was glossy - took the poor bastard quite a while, apparently, and defeated the purpose of having it (stopping morning/afternoon glare). He had to have it resprayed - but to the guy's credit, he acknowledged the young bloke's efforts and paid him anyway.

Moral of the story - if you ARE painting your bonnet matt black, don't let anyone else clean it!

hahaha I dont think Anyone would get mad at the poor kid! good story tony :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

If the plate didnt work out, do you think the black bonnet would look out of place? Im trying to go with a black and white theme after all...

If you go for a Matt black bonnet I,d personally vinyl wrap it, that way when it's time to sell its a quick peel of the vinyl and polish your bonnet. Good as new

id also go with the vinyl wrap, if applied properly there wont be bubbles and will look the business. plastidip has the tendency of holding and attracting dirt. Plastidipped my rims, was ok for a couple of months then went out bush and couldn't get the grime off the dip.

id also go with the vinyl wrap, if applied properly there wont be bubbles and will look the business. plastidip has the tendency of holding and attracting dirt. Plastidipped my rims, was ok for a couple of months then went out bush and couldn't get the grime off the dip.

thats a good point, i dipped my side steps and i cant get them clean either, figured it was becasue of the checkerplate.
I contacted a Local guy who does wrapping and he wants $350 to do the bonnet... does anyone know if thats a normal price?

I would have thought it wouldn't be a big issue, seeing as though any lights mounted up there are for off road use only.

thats a good point, i dipped my side steps and i cant get them clean either, figured it was becasue of the checkerplate.
I contacted a Local guy who does wrapping and he wants $350 to do the bonnet... does anyone know if thats a normal price?

Would think that's not too bad, I got quoted $3g for whole car.

I would be trying the plate to shadow the bonnet before anything else, I have had this issue but was able to move the lights back.

Latest posts

Back