Ticking noise.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my car serviced by nissan and the head mechanic knows these cars inside out and the problem is the " clutch " pipes hitting up against the firewall, they call it " clutch pipe insulation " apparently and is quoted to be a $90 fix, fitted.

hope this helps mate

If the car's under warranty dealers were fixing this problem for free.

If not, some packing foam under the clutch pipes fixes it up fast.

If you can't explain the ticking noise and you've been near Western Sydney at some point,
it's probably a good idea to park the car over there ------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

and watch it from a distance. Maybe video it, so we can watch what one looks like as it detonates.

Ok ill check the clutch lines and doors, although i doubt its either, cos the noise doesnt seem to be related to engine revs or vibrations, only road speed, and the doors and everything else seem pretty tight. its definately not the aerial cos mine broke off when this ****ing bird dive bombed me when i was cruising at 80 straight into the aariel, true story. and no i havnt left the ute parked unsupervised at any west sydney jihad meetings either, so that rules that out too.

Good way of checking the doors is to close the door slowly holding the handle up from the outside, you will feel if the door binds on the latch.

Thanks for the input fellas. ^ yeah the doors are sweet, and theres no real rattles and squeaks anywhere apart from the usual drop-side steel tray noises. Ordered a d22 manual. Will give the hubs, brakes and shafts a good looking into when ive got all the specs at my fingertips.

You can download the manual from the D22 general section as a zip file.

Ive tried that a couple times, but the files dont work for me... Im not good at computers tho..

Mine was doing the exact same thing a while ago,turned out to be a spring in the drum brakes.not the quickest thing to check but its a good chance it's the drum brakes. Thing with mine was I jacked it up and spun it by hand and couldn't hear it so it only "activated" at a certain speed

Mine was doing the exact same thing a while ago,turned out to be a spring in the drum brakes.not the quickest thing to check but its a good chance it's the drum brakes. Thing with mine was I jacked it up and spun it by hand and couldn't hear it so it only "activated" at a certain speed

Cheers mate, this is pretty much exactly what iv been suspecting. So did you have to replace anything or did you just reset the drums and whatever?

So I've got one that has mind f@&$@d the absolute s%#t out of me at the moment. Will take a bit of explaining but here I go:

So this noise only happens :-10 times, or at least is noticeably louder about 8/10 times. Whenever I'm braking through the gears, i.e slowing down from 60km/h and third gear is slowing me down, once the revs drop below 2,000rpm or so, this loudest ticking/tapping noise comes from under the car towards the front, pretty much where the engine is and stops when I clutch in.... It does it in second and fourth gear too, but not very loud in 5th if I try. And it only does it 8/10 times or so. It also sounds louder when I'm slowing down last parked cars as the sound bounces back at me. I'm kind of concerned and anyone's idea is better than none at all so do throw your 2cents worth in please! Note: it is a 2003 3.0L but with an 06 3.0L, 180,000 kms.

Last edited:
mine does that I think, 72000km 06

to me it sounds like the timing chain or some sort of bearings, I just stopped caring after a while apparently its normal and I won't be keeping this car much longer, the lack of power is driving me mad.

mine does that I think, 72000km 06

to me it sounds like the timing chain or some sort of bearings, I just stopped caring after a while apparently its normal and I won't be keeping this car much longer, the lack of power is driving me mad.

Okay fair enough, I really hope it's not the timing chain myself though haha. If it was the timing chain, shouldn't it be constant then? :/

I dunno I can only hear the ticking on deceleration, sounds like marbles rolling around together is probably the best way to describe it.

When the engine is propelling the car, the drive train is stressed differently to when the car is propelling the engine (under engine braking) but since the timing chain is driven by the crankshaft regardless of which way the engine is being turned over I think it's possible it is the chain.

The big difference in the two is noise. The sound produced by the engine under driving load could easily be masking the rattle of a loose timing chain. The only way to be sure is to inspect it. Got some time on your hands? Bit of a pity there isn't an inspection window for it.

When the engine is propelling the car, the drive train is stressed differently to when the car is propelling the engine (under engine braking) but since the timing chain is driven by the crankshaft regardless of which way the engine is being turned over I think it's possible it is the chain.

The big difference in the two is noise. The sound produced by the engine under driving load could easily be masking the rattle of a loose timing chain. The only way to be sure is to inspect it. Got some time on your hands? Bit of a pity there isn't an inspection window for it.

Yeah I'll do my best to inspect it actually. Better to be safe than sorry. Thanks fellas for your replies and trying to help, and you especially old tony!! Grrr I hope it's not a huge job haha :(

ZD30's have good chains, its pretty rare for one to be replaced afaik, which is why I couldn't care less about mine

Found it! Stupid me didn't seal up the egr blanking plate area with gasket glue so the exhaust gas was seeping through making that noise. Winner :D

haha just goes to show that you shouldn't dive in before you diagnose. The same thing happened to me but i didn't suspect a timing chain as i just added a new blanking pate. Its a very unique harmonic sound as the pressurized air passes along the plate causing it to resonate/vibrate.... much like a harmonica.

Latest posts

Back