Timing chain gurus

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo4x4

Reaction score
Hi guys,

bought a spare YD25 complete motor ($500) which apparently just stopped working...mechanic just put a recond motor in the truck and away he went and didnt bother to much with this motor. he reckons timing could be snapped but didnt check...heres a photo i cant see anything wrong everything still in tact...he said theres no water in the oil and no oil in the water...is there something i should check with the timing chain??

Attachments

• IMAG0133.jpg
    IMAG0133.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
glow plugs

ok after some research...i read 1 way to tell if block is rooted is if i removed glow plugs (vacuumed) and try turn this shaft...which in this case i couldn't...so means its rooted? would anyone agree?

Attachments

• IMAG0138.jpg
    IMAG0138.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 113
Looks like you are turning the crankshaft, with the glowplugs removed I would expect that you should be able to turn the crank over without too much trouble.

The chain appears to be OK, you really have to measure the amount of wear in the chain to tell for sure, have a look at the yd25.com site, from memory they had a pretty good explanation of how to measure the wear in the factory chain.

'Just stopped working' is not enough information to give you any idea where to start looking for problems. If there was no oil / water cross contamination then the head and head gasket are likely OK. Could be anything wrong with it, dead diesel pump, dead injectors, very long list without knowing more info.

^ It could be something really simple, but it might also be something dramatic. Can you not turn the engine over at all, not even a little bit?

It might be advantageous to find someone with one of those little inspection cameras, remove the cover from the intake manifold and snake it in to take a peek inside the ports. If there's a valve open, you might get a look inside the cylinders. You could drop the turbocharger off the other side and try the same thing in through the exhaust manifold.

thanks guys...yea couldnt turn the crank shaft at all...getting mixed answers from other blokes saying should be able to turn it by hand others saying need more leverage than that spanner...but i placed alot of force and would not turn the slightest. bugga dont know anyone with those snake cams...

yea kernal will check yd25.com.au process when at home...good write up

thanks again fellas

I'm pretty sure super cheap sell those cameras for around the 100 dollar mark... have you got a breaker bar and socket the right size you can use to try and turn it over with that?

ahh righto...i think im gonna pull it down just for learning purposes cause im mechanically retarded and would like to learn how all this shit works lol and to be honest...if i did get my hands on a camera and started snooping thru...i dont know exactly what im looking for...my thought would be "yea i see a cylinder shaped thingy with black oil on it and some shaft looking things" 0_0

i was under the impression if i removed the glow plugs i "should" be able to turn the crank shaft by hand...

Last edited:
Hahah fair enough. .. would be a good learning curve I guess... As others have said above, it depends why it just stopped. .. If it dropped a valve and that caused it to stop you will never turn it over...

you should be able turn it one way or another with that spanner.
if it won't move at all then its probably cooked and seized. that would explain why they didn't bother inspecting the motor before replacing it.

agree with tweak'e, with the plugs removed there's no compression to fight against, it should move easily,

you might get lucky though, take one bit off at a time and see if maybe its the problem, like remove the mechanical fuel pump and see if it turns, etc,

could still be a component thats failed and not the engine,

if its seized solid i would expect to see large amounts of metal in the oil as well, might be worth dropping the pan and having a look at whats in there

i forgot fuel pump. it will compress the fuel pump when you turn it. loosen off outlet fuel pipe and it should turn over easy.

Latest posts

Back