Timing chain question?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NISSAND40

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and am new to owning a D40. So far my D40 is running like a dream and I'm loving every minute of it. I have recently read threads on Timing chain failures. is it really as common as people say? I was told that only earlier models are affected (mines 09 Spain build) models like Thai built are riddled with problems, however, the Spain build is actually more reliable for less faults. Can anyone verify this because I have read so many different theories and it is very frustrating not to get a straight anser. Cheers in advance.

Loving this page, so much useful info especially on my first mod (blocked off EGR) Keep up the awesome work guys

Some percentage of Navaras have had issues with timing chains stretching, a few have had the chain break on them. As with all things in internetland you will hear about almost everyone that has some problem, but hardly ever hear about the millions of cars not having any problems.

As to whether yours will have a problem, it will come down 50% to maintenance and 50% to luck, but it's unlikely to go from perfectly fine to broken within a short span of time. Keep an ear on it and when / if the time comes you can decide what you want to do.

We recently had a thread about a guy that decided it was time to fit a dual row replacement chain, only to find that his original one was still in good condition once the engine was opened.

And as far as Spain built vs. Thai built I don't think there is much in it, all cars seem to have similar problems.

You can either buy a car out of a factory where they get rid of you in a heartbeat if you don't perform or from a factory where it's siesta time half the time and union meeting time the other half. :rofl2: I prefer Asian built stuff anyway.

i just very recently replaced mine with the double row. old chain guides and tensioners were all still pretty good. if your real worried about it, its not too hard to take off the top cover and check it out.

i just very recently replaced mine with the double row. old chain guides and tensioners were all still pretty good. if your real worried about it, its not too hard to take off the top cover and check it out.

I'm not very mechanically minded so I won't know what to look for..
the top cover? that's the rocker cover to the engine yeah?

you got any pics mate

only need to remove the the top plastic cover. but if your not very mechanically minded and your concerned about it, might pay to get someone to check it for you

Latest posts

Back