Timing chain snapped, engine went bang :(

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious about the fact that it was the top dual row chain that broke... I thought it was usually the bottom single row chain that breaks? That's the one that gets upgraded to double row while the top one gets left standard isn't it? Just wondering why then it was the top one that broke...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

if you look at this top chain in position notice how dirty the tensioner etc etc is, the oil inlet hole on the chain tensioner is not large in diameter and if you have dirty gunky oil there is a very good chance that correct oil lub to build pressure for the tensioner will take too long to build thus causing a lose tensioner resulting in slow stretching over time of the chain.
this is why its recommended that good engine oil is used plus changed every 5k plus the use of a genuine oil filter will certainly assist in slowing down and failures in the timing chain area. you can buy genuine oil filters on ebay for $20 posted so buy them not aftermarket letdowns.

Out of curiosity how much has everybody been quoted to get the timing chains replaced? Around 5K sound right?

Out of curiosity how much has everybody been quoted to get the timing chains replaced? Around 5K sound right?
i would say it shouldn,t really be anymore than 3k. you can buy the complete double row chain kit for under 1k and 2k is a fair amount for labour.

Timing Chain View

I seem to be looking at a Timing Chain that is about one Inch too long, and
at least Five Teeth that have considerable wear and close to allowing other
damage as well or instead of, Is this my old Eye,s or what!

My commiserations in your grief,

highway man!:deadhorse2:

This happened to me yesterday on way to work 150,000 on clock and I didn't notice any noises then bang 80kms an hour to just getting it off road, motor alone to replace 6200 without labour and all the bits. Im shattered single female and have car loan on it and I'm stuffed. So worried about trying to find funds to fix but what if it happens again
Apparently these models only have one chain which is why they are weak and known for doing this, wish I knew this before buying one
Hey guys, Noticed a new rattle sound a few weeks back coming from front of the engine. did a little research and figured it was possibly the timing chain. Went to my mechanic and booked it in. I only drove it a couple of times after that whilst waiting for it to head into the mechanics, then 2 days before it was due in I was driving at about 80 km/h and it went bang. timing chain snapped and blew out the side of the case, engine self destructed. This is on a 2010 D22, 125,000 kms and always serviced every 5,000. To say I am frustrated and shattered would be an understatement but I guess we move on. I have a brother that can fit a new engine, I am just thinking of the best was to do it. Thinking a low km engine would be the best way, if anyone knows of the best place in Vic to find one can you let me know?

This happened to me yesterday on way to work 150,000 on clock and I didn't notice any noises then bang 80kms an hour to just getting it off road, motor alone to replace 6200 without labour and all the bits. Im shattered single female and have car loan on it and I'm stuffed. So worried about trying to find funds to fix but what if it happens again
Apparently these models only have one chain which is why they are weak and known for doing this, wish I knew this before buying one

If the engine slowed and restricted you to 80km/h, the timing chains are still intact and the problem could be something simple like the SCV.

As always, more information is helpful. Engine type, age of vehicle and what it seems the engine is doing all help - it's actually quite difficult to diagnose physical problems with an engine by using text from potentially thousands of kilometres away!

My

If the engine slowed and restricted you to 80km/h, the timing chains are still intact and the problem could be something simple like the SCV.

As always, more information is helpful. Engine type, age of vehicle and what it seems the engine is doing all help - it's actually quite difficult to diagnose physical problems with an engine by using text from potentially thousands of kilometres away!
Yeah engine will not turn over, all lights come on dash etc so must have cut power, RACQ said timing chain then towed to mecanics and he confirmed chain had gone through motor
Nissan navara yd25 turbo diesel 2014 4x4 D22

Yeah engine will not turn over, all lights come on dash etc so must have cut power, RACQ said timing chain then towed to mecanics and he confirmed chain had gone through motor
Nissan navara yd25 turbo diesel 2014 4x4 D22

It's not often that a D22 lets go like that. If the crankcase has been damaged you might be better served by getting a motor from a wreck.

Give these guys a call - Niss 4x4 on 03 93999771. They have contacts in Qld that may have what you need. Mention this forum - they have given discounts to forum members before.

It's not often that a D22 lets go like that. If the crankcase has been damaged you might be better served by getting a motor from a wreck.

Give these guys a call - Niss 4x4 on 03 93999771. They have contacts in Qld that may have what you need. Mention this forum - they have given discounts to forum members before.
Thanks so much i will give them a call monday

T

Yes ao far i have only found a 2nd hand motor with 133,000kms for $6500 with 6 months warranty but for warranty to be up held you have to put nrew drive chain on and timing belt and seals for warranty to be upheld or valid. I know im so stuck with all this i know nothing about cars and live in qld with no family etc to get advice or help from

Did you end up getting a price for a crate engine from Nissan? I was talking to my brother in law about this a while ago for some reason, he's pretty high up at Nissan Australia, and he was saying something like 4k for a short motor but that could have been bullshit.
I asked Nissan for new motor price and they no longee make the D22 motor, my car is 2014 yd25 and they said if they coukd stilll get them ehich they cant new price was 18,000

Latest posts

Back