Timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chri5z

Reaction score
Hey I have just purchased a new 2013 st d40 but I have been reading about how people have had timing chain problems at 100,000 and how costly it is. It kinda scares me. Have the engines changed in the new series 6? I can't see how it can go that early. Technically it should last the lifetime of the car

There is a few rumours around that Nissan timing chains and tentioners are weak and were not just talking the 2.5 donk but the VQ40 petrol job to. Hard to find hard evidence of it but heard stories about some being replaced goodwill outside of warentee.

Yes your right it should last the life of the engine.

just spoke to a mate, got an engine knock.

took it to nissan they said, timing chain on the way out - $2500 to replace.

just spoke to a mate, got an engine knock.

took it to nissan they said, timing chain on the way out - $2500 to replace.

Tell him to put a YD25 double row in it. $3000 fitted and will last the life of the car. Nissan will only put a stock one back in.

Hey I have just purchased a new 2013 st d40 but I have been reading about how people have had timing chain problems at 100,000 and how costly it is. It kinda scares me. Have the engines changed in the new series 6? I can't see how it can go that early. Technically it should last the lifetime of the car

Why worry about something that may not ever happen???

About 111,000km on mine and the timing chain sounds normal. Asked the dealer the 110,000km service about it and they said they've only had about 5 Navaras with timing chains - and they service a LOT of them (I've seen them go through - so I know it's not bullshit).

I don't think the problem is as widespread as we might think. I also think that forums seem to draw failures like a magnet. People don't sign up to forums because they've bought a new car that's doing what it's supposed to - so what we SEE in here is a skewed cross-section of vehicle owners. This makes it appear that the problems are more widespread than they actually are.

Yer your right people do only see a lot ogre bad stuff and comment on it straight away. I love it so far. So many on the road. Great car. Just thought ill ask about it and see what people had to say.

I don't think the problem is as widespread as we might think. I also think that forums seem to draw failures like a magnet. People don't sign up to forums because they've bought a new car that's doing what it's supposed to - so what we SEE in here is a skewed cross-section of vehicle owners. This makes it appear that the problems are more widespread than they actually are.

Agreed, and yota owners who bag navara,s to feel better about the short comings of there hilux,s:sarcastic:

I beg to differ....while not confined just to this engine...all timing chain/ tensioner setups will fail
Some too earlyand most before the engine use by date...had a lot of experience with these systems and I must say the only bullet proof timing setups are gear sets and then double row chains and no tensioners

About 111,000km on mine and the timing chain sounds normal. Asked the dealer the 110,000km service about it and they said they've only had about 5 Navaras with timing chains - and they service a LOT of them (I've seen them go through - so I know it's not bullshit).

I concur wholeheartedly, that applies to just about every fault and failure mentioned on this web site.

I beg to differ....while not confined just to this engine...all timing chain/ tensioner setups will fail
Some too earlyand most before the engine use by date...had a lot of experience with these systems and I must say the only bullet proof timing setups are gear sets and then double row chains and no tensioners

Yes, agreed. Everything will eventually fail, from butter knives to the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Tony meant that we only mostly see failures in these forums and not successes. Just like you rarely see happy stories on the news. People love to complain, but they rarely like to praise.

take out the extended warranty then, last I knew it was like $1000 for 3 years, most people sell their car around every 3-6 years anyway, whats the cost of a full engine rebuild if the chain goes? like $10-15000?

I concur wholeheartedly, that applies to just about every fault and failure mentioned on this web site.

Yes, agreed. Everything will eventually fail, from butter knives to the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Tony meant that we only mostly see failures in these forums and not successes. Just like you rarely see happy stories on the news. People love to complain, but they rarely like to praise.

Not referring particularly to Tony's post...just generally....and I don't just see failures on forums....that's just internet tripe as far as I'm concerned...read my post and youll notice ...from real life experience

take out the extended warranty then, last I knew it was like $1000 for 3 years, most people sell their car around every 3-6 years anyway, whats the cost of a full engine rebuild if the chain goes? like $10-15000?

Problem is....extended warranties aren't worth the paper they're' written on

It's the only option, apparently all Navaras are just time bombs waiting to go off. It used to be that only D40's had issues and people who purchased them were naive and uneducated but now with problems creeping into the D22 range there is just no option. Those with the money can go and buy Yota's and those who can only afford D22's can buy Great Walls.

Phew glad that's settled.

The wife's old torana stripped the timing gear on the 202 red motor, but being free running its not so much a drama,

Yep....but the cam gear is made of phelonic resin..common problem...that's why someone started making them from metal

Back