Timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1961

Reaction score
Well lads , its been awhile since I've graced these pages , just thought i would give you all an update , the truck has just ticker over 80,000 ks , not bad for 11 months old , and is booked in for the timing chain to be replaced next week , to say aim pretty pissed off would be a under statement , this is going to one expensive thing to keep on the road after the warranty runs out @ 100,000ks if iam going to up for this every 80 k ,

Yeah i know about them , but its under warranty and i don't fancy spending 3-4 k that i don't have too , but will first time i have to out of my own pocket

oooooo lol just noticed you have jumped up in the world , shall i address you as sir sparra now ? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
shit there I go again editing your post instead of quoting you oops sorry ^^^^^
its the power, it makes me dizzy
now
what were we talking about b4 I rudely interupted

Last edited:
Yeah i know about them , but its under warranty and i don't fancy spending 3-4 k that i don't have too , but will first time i have to out of my own pocket

On a positive note, I haven't heard a single report of someone's car that has had their chain replaced having to have it replaced a second time.

I wonder if your dealer (that's doing the work) will accept the supply of parts? Probably not, since they're asking Nissan to cough for the warranty work, but there's no harm in asking them. Then give Paul at yd25.com.au a hoy and see how quick he can get the chains to you.

Shit long time no see. Was wondering if we needed to send out a search party LOL.

Agree with tony only ever heard of it once. Or tho 80k in 11 months is a good run. I was thinking something is wrong there but then remembered when i was living out at the flat I did 50000 in like 6 months. Sevo owner in Qbn new me by name. filling up every 2 days. Yeah in the odd possbilty at 160,000 yours goes then I'd swap out for a duel chain. Or a Cummings LOL

Shit long time no see. Was wondering if we needed to send out a search party LOL.

Agree with tony only ever heard of it once. Or tho 80k in 11 months is a good run. I was thinking something is wrong there but then remembered when i was living out at the flat I did 50000 in like 6 months. Sevo owner in Qbn new me by name. filling up every 2 days. Yeah in the odd possbilty at 160,000 yours goes then I'd swap out for a duel chain. Or a Cummings LOL

Yeah i lost interest for awhile after some crap happened here , and have done nothing to it since i was last on the site , still got a few things to do and now a few repairs as well , the tough dog struts i fitted and now shagged , so their up for replacement now as well , its never ending , windscreen , needs replacing , and tyres will be in the next 20 k as well

cant you by the chain from Paul and tell dealer to fit it? cant see a problem its still a chain doing the same job, just a bit better

Yeah i lost interest for awhile after some crap happened here , and have done nothing to it since i was last on the site , still got a few things to do and now a few repairs as well , the tough dog struts i fitted and now shagged , so their up for replacement now as well , its never ending , windscreen , needs replacing , and tyres will be in the next 20 k as well

busy busy busy

Well got the truck back today , wow what a difference , you don't notice as things happen slowly , sooooo much smoother , so much quieter , and i would say bit more grunt , must be a huge job , as they had it 3 days , i hope this is the end of it , i don't want to do this every 80,000 ks

hey bit confused with your timing chain fault and your comments "you don't notice as things happen slowly" i was under the impression if the chain goes...motors fkd?? or is the motor still ok and just replace the chain??

iv got 225,000k's and about to book it for major service and thinking if me chain should be replaced...

hey bit confused with your timing chain fault and your comments "you don't notice as things happen slowly" i was under the impression if the chain goes...motors fkd?? or is the motor still ok and just replace the chain??

iv got 225,000k's and about to book it for major service and thinking if me chain should be replaced...

I think its due to the fact 95% of the issue is down to poor TENSIONERS that dont keep the chain as taught as it needs to be and allows it to chew out others parts and stretch the chain itself.
Basically the chain doesnt have to snap to fail or cause issues.

Steve, from what i have heard when they do replace the stock chain and tensioners with the newer versions the problem is 100% better and the duration of the parts is allot better, so maybe you will get a far better run out of this one??

I think its due to the fact 95% of the issue is down to poor TENSIONERS that dont keep the chain as taught as it needs to be and allows it to chew out others parts and stretch the chain itself.
Basically the chain doesnt have to snap to fail or cause issues.
100% correct, the chain issue is a process that slowly creeps up, but gets worse then its noticeable. I have the same issue atm. :pissedoff:

Hey Steve, I notice in your garage that you have a 2013 Kingcab STX ... is this a Thai or Spain built model? Does it have the 126 kw or 140 kw YD25?

Also good effort on racking up 80,000 in about 12 months! Smashing out the k's...

Just as an aside (and not directed at you Steve :) ) it is generally good practice with these things to take the sump off and inner sump plate (for want of a better description...) to check for plastic bits that have fallen down during engine operation. A good time to do this would be if you are changing the oil every 5,000 k's ... This may indicate that the timing chain is chewing things up and helps you to be proactive in managing the issue - particularly if you are still within Nissan warranty as you might be able to swing something. This is the only diagnostic information I have come across to help with seeing how your truck is travelling. Otherwise, yeah it seems as though it just goes bang and you're stuffed :(

Also I have read that another reason that the tensioners stuff up is because of oil starvation... As I am not that familiar with the internals of these engines, does the populous on this forum think there is any truth to this? Would make changing the oil more often be good preventative maintenance for this timing chain thing?

Last edited:
he tensioners are nothing special, they are not hydraulically operated but just a lightweight spring pushing the piston out, there is no ratchet system to stop the piston out.

I was lucky as I found the bits of guide in my sump. When opened up the lower tensioner was at its maximum extension with the guide being chewed through by the chain.

024_zps4ce246a8.jpg

The tensioner is at the 8 o'clock position, you can clearly see it is extended out quite far.

Latest posts

Back