Tool box in the tub

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leo d40

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just a query about having a lockable toolbox bolted down inside the front section the tub. I am assuming people have done this in the past, so just after some advice on which brands/types to look out for. Or inside of bolting it to the floor, is there another option available?

Basically I carry a tool bag and a packing box size worth of gear so the toolbox doesn't need to be huge. The width of the tub and maybe 50-75cm from front to back.

Just don't want to head out guns a-blazing and buying whatever when there may be a better solution :)

There are tons of options - two major points to consider (other than price) are 1) air tight - do you need it to be (dust & water an issue or not?) 2) security (lid and lock strength).

I use tech screws to screw mine down - just remember that there will always be a time you wish it werent there.

Air tight is a must, I carry some electrical equipment with me. Security is also a must as I don't want the locals getting free gear :p

I was at bunnings today (unrelated to this) and stopped by the toolbox section. There is a decent sized one there but the latch mechanism is screwed on with philips head screws...

In regards to it not being there at times, for holidays and day trips where the tub will be used I don't really have a problem unscrewing it and removing it.

I've got an ally tool box in my tub. Got it from Trade tools Direct in Bris. It's mounted between wheel arches with enough room for a maxtrax on each side to fit snugly. Very functional although the lid has a decent rubber seal around the edge it's not air tight.

I didn't want it to be fixed directly to the tub so I used so off cuts of Modwood (synthetic decking) as a spacer between the tool box and tub to allow water to drain away and dry easily. Bolted it with stainless 12mm bolts.

You do notice the loss of tub space by having it permanently there, but racks create extra carrying space too.

I jaded a steel box in that exact spot from super cheap auto. It was a good box, I did chase off 2 blokes one night that had broken into it with a pry bar. The lock was just attached with a couple of pop rivets. Now it issues welded on. I think the box cost me about $160 and I had a bolt in each corner going all the way through the tub. I don't have it in any more as it was a pain in the ass when getting loads of soil and stones I. The back.

Thanks for the company name chule. I have had a look on their website and something like this http://www.tradetools.com/products/DAL1425 is what I am after. I will look locally for one as shipping is $120 to Perth :-( Was thinking to put a rubber mat under it and bolt it to the tub. The rubber should stop vibrations and rattling sounds.

Removing the tub, is there easy access underneath it to take the nuts off the bolts holding the box down, or should I use self tapping ones?

+1 to tool boxes being a pain in the arse in the back of dual cabs. You just lose so much room in the tray. But if you don't have any other option then go with a checker plate box and bolt it down with stainless bolts. It needs to have 2 locks and a lid that is rigid. If there is flex in the lid it makes them easier to pop open. Weather strip stuck around the lip of the box will help with water and dust proofing.

Ive got one of the Geelong tool boxes in the back of mine, cut down so it just fits between the wheel arches up against the back wall. My tub floor has rubber matting on it, so water can drain away. It has one pad lock. I used to have a box with two padlocks and it was a pain to unlock one, then go around and do the other side.
I put a thick layer of silicone where the lid seals to stop dust and water, it seems to work.
Mine also isnt secured with bolts, as I take the dogs in the back regularly and I need to slide the tool box to the rear of the tub and chain the dogs up the front. Im not overly concerned with theives, as it is farking heavy filled with all my gear. For one person to try and steal it would have to be even stronger than me (hehe) and actually test that its not secured before attempting to lift it, which probs wouldnt move because of the friction on the rubber mat, and purely cos of its weight.

I made a bracket for mine that attaches to two of the bolts at the front of the tub on the headboard section. Then it is bolted to the back of the toolbox. It wouldn't be hard for someone to nick if they saw how it is bolted in there, but the bracket is painted black and I have a tub liner so it blends in, also, with the tonneau cover on it is hard to see that far up without rolling it all the way open. Its still easy to remove when needed which helps. Just measure how much space you have in between the wheel arches and get one that fits there

Thanks for the company name chule. I have had a look on their website and something like this http://www.tradetools.com/products/DAL1425 is what I am after. I will look locally for one as shipping is $120 to Perth :-( Was thinking to put a rubber mat under it and bolt it to the tub. The rubber should stop vibrations and rattling sounds.

Removing the tub, is there easy access underneath it to take the nuts off the bolts holding the box down, or should I use self tapping ones?

As for the bolts, you could use self tappers, otherwise you can get "nutserts". They are like a pop rivet but with a thread in them to screw a bolt into. I don't know how much the actual setting tool for them costs but they are an option if there's limited access to get to a nut. You just drill a hole and pop it in, then bolt it up. I'd say bolt shops should sell them, not sure about bunnings, etc...

I just kept it simple - bolt, nyloc nut and 2 washers on each bolt. There's plenty of room to get underneath the tub even without a body lift. Just take the spare tyre out.

I suppose you could weld a piece of angle either side of the box so it lines up with the front of the tub, have them line up with a short, fat bolt either side (bolted or welded to the tub. Drill a hole in the angle so it slides over the bolt. Drill a hole in the bolt for a padlock to go through. Then you can secure the box into place and its not too much trouble to remove. Then you won't need to crawl underneath to undo bolts or nuts, and you won't have to remove the spare tyre.

You could have the bolts go from the front of the tub straight into the rear of the box and padlock/bolt them on from the inside, but you might lose your water tight seal.

Damn, now I'm keen to try it on mine. I would have to keep the bolts short so they don't hack up the dogs when they are in the back.

On further thoughts you could attach door latch styled locks, instead of the bolts. Then they could just be pop riveted on.

Would anyone know who does this in Australia?

D40-xtra-cabladder-rack-box-02.jpg

Latest posts

Back