Tool kit list for DIY shock/leaf change

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnskip

Reaction score
Hey fella's need to know what tools and sizes are needed to change front and rear shocks and leaf springs.
I plan on doing it myself, but I have to borrow the tools as i'am limited to mountain bike tools!
Iv got axle stands and jack and thats it.

A full list would be really helpful, cheers.

from memory n being a mechanic n im gunna say some tools you may not need but better to be safe then sorry right?
10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21mm spanners would help to have sockets n a ratchet in the same sizes, leaver bar, hammer, rattle gun would be a good help, for the tops of the front shocks ratchet spanners are great probably 12, 14mm, 12 inch grinder (I had to cut my shackle pins as they were rusted in) ended up buying greasable pins from zordo,
that's all I can think of at the moment as im limited with tools I have at home n all I have is a socket set n spanners n I don't like taking my tools from work as I lose them.
hope this helps bro

scottys got it covered
but he missed the most important tool for a suspension upgrade
a bottle or 2 of wd40
soak all bolts in wd40 ,inox,penetrene for a week or 2 b4 job

Front shocks are.. 17mm bottom and 14mm top (use a long socket) from memory
forget what the rears are but maybe 15-17mm something like that.
wheel nuts 21mm
Get some good car stands, as above a rattle gun speeds things up.
hammer.
as for leafs haven't changed them so check what the U-bolts are, grab yourself some Bolt release and leave them overnight to soak.
Torque wrench- not sure on the specs but i did about 30nm rear shocks or as soon and the bushes start to squash in a bit
same for front top 14mm (just by hand till they squashed a bit), as for bottom 17mm i did about 70nm.

IMPORTANT- grab an angle grinder and a grinding wheel, you will need to open up the control arms in the front to accommodate for larger bore shocks eg Ranchos, TD and many more.

I ground out some metal but not enough on one arm and put a small dint on one of my brand new ranchos, lucky they still perform well. had to grind some more.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, was a big help.
I just replaced the front shocks from 2002 standards with rancho 5000s, found it quite easy using 17mm, 14mm, vicegrips and some wd40.
Gonna throw on the rear shocks on friday and over the week keep spraying all the nuts and bolts on the shocks/leafs with wd40.
Had a look at the rear leafs and chickened out, it just looks too rusted for the tools I have.
I might have to let a mechanic tackle this one.

Have clean up now, then out for a test run!

your rear leaf kit should come with new bolts ect
grab the grinder and cut old ones off if they cause you greif

Yeah might have to do that with the grinder, looked fairly rusted together.

Latest posts

Back