Torque setting for turbo bolts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaybird

Reaction score
I'm about to do a service on my ZD30 and while at it was going to take the 3 bolt flange off the front of the turbo to access the fan and check for any movement. Can anyone tell me the torque setting for the 3 bolts when putting it back together.
Thanks
Terry

Are you using a dial indicator? Or just plan on wiggling it with Your hand? If you had shaft play so bad you could move it with your hand then your turbo would have already let go, they
Run really small tolerances and the Only real way to Measure for play is with a dial indicator. Otherwise your just wasting your time.

Legends in the bottom left corner.

Attachments

• turbo nm.JPG
    turbo nm.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 102
Thanks Rumbig for the settings. In answer to the other question I have no way of measuring but was going to photograph it with a large megapixel camera and blow it up on a computer to see what sort of wear they experience after 165,000

Are you using a dial indicator? Or just plan on wiggling it with Your hand? If you had shaft play so bad you could move it with your hand then your turbo would have already let go, they
Run really small tolerances and the Only real way to Measure for play is with a dial indicator. Otherwise your just wasting your time.
What is a dial indicator and how do you use it?

Coincidentally I checked my turbo play last night, it moved maybe 1mm up/down with no movement to the side. So you're saying that's no an indication?

im my own terms so bear with me lol......a dial indicator is a "dial" that has a tip protruding (google it for a pic) from it that sits on the surface that you want to measure, as you then roatate the shaft/bearing/valve/crank shaft ect it moves the needle on the dial showing error in alignment (all the way down to 0.001mm) to show or wether the piece is within specified tolerance or out of alignment. something such as a turbo will have very fine allowable factory spec tolerance with its shaft movement and also compressor and exhaust turbine blades. what that is i dont know but im sure mr google will tell you.

basically movement from your hand is defiantly not an accurate way to measure something like end float, or any engine specification for that matter. thats why we (techos) use dial indicators, micrometers and boroscopes when checking wear on machinery components.
some measurements can be bloody ridiculously small.

hope that helps, or at least makes sense lol. im not the best explainer.

Latest posts

Back