Towing from Qld to Sydney

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namwens

Reaction score
Hi guys, just looking to get some opinions here.

In a few weeks time im planning on towing a car down to sydney and back for a race meet and im trying to work out what the best route to take.

I've driven both the new england highway and the pacific highways umpteen times in my life and i am aware of both their conditions as i drove them just this month. I have driven the newell highway but i am not as familiar with it compared to the new england

However, i'm new to towing in my navara and generally new to towing bigger loads full stop. so anyway, here are the options i'm considering

Toowoomba - Eastern Creek

New england highway via tamworth - 923KM
New england highway has several climbs which include bolivia, Glencoe, Black Mountain, Moonbi's, murrurundi.

Pacific highway - 1046km
probably the easiest route as it is all freeway from toowoomba to ballina, bit rough from ballina to coffs, then freeway from port all the way to sydney. still some climbs but not as abrupt as the new england.

Newell highway - Kamilaroi hwy then new england - 995km
Mostly flat besides murrurundi.

so i guess what im saying, do i take the short way with lots of climbs, the long way with nicer roads, or the middle length way with probably the worst quality roads but with minimal climbs.

all opinions and experiences welcome
d22 with the 2.5 - stock

Last edited:
I drove down the Newell from Warwick to Victoria last month and it was a shocker. Pot holed to bits for a long long way. Remember thinking to myself why oh why didn't I take the scenic route. Won't do the Newell again. I was fully laden at 2.75 tonnes (no trailer) and was impressed with the performance (3.0 diesel - 2007 ST-R dual cab) Went like shit off a hot shovel up the Cunningham Gap :)

Last edited:
You could go south on the New England - we didn't use that much fuel coming home from Armidale with the caravan behind us - and go north via the Pacific Highway.

I think the Newell's a little too damaged and it copped a beating in the floods before Christmas. You might think you could save a few litres of diesel, but all the bolts will be shaken out of the vehicle on the way, so you'll have to walk the trip again to pick 'em all back up.

Go the Pacific, it gets better every day.

120km further better?

really im looking for people who have towed big loads on the roads. if you can provide advice give me something to back it up with.
If i'd wanted a simple answer i would have asked a simple one line question ;)

as for towing from armidale to sydney, thats probably the easiest bit! all down hill besides murrurundi (i actually used to live in armidale)

120km further better?

really im looking for people who have towed big loads on the roads. if you can provide advice give me something to back it up with.
If i'd wanted a simple answer i would have asked a simple one line question ;)

Oh alright then. I've towed a boat along that road, it had me weighed down till I was slower than the trucks, I've also driven it with the tray full, and I prefer the coast road because towing increases driver fatigue as well as stress on the vehicle and I find the more interesting (awakening) drive, and the greater regularity of large towns with tow trucks and hotels comforting. I've driven the Newell from Melbourne to Brisbane and found the perfectly straight and boring roads good at putting me to sleep even without a load. If you're worried by the total distance, take the back road.

Tony Id consider the New England highway to be north and the Pacific to be south.

Go the New England, channel 40 on the UHF and you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back