Towing issues with 4x2, 4.0lt, 09 model D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2009 STX D40 4.0lt Auto 4x2. Please note it is just a 4x2 and not a 4x4.
When we bought this vehicle new we chose this because we wern't going to do any towing and such of any kind, nor was I interested in the 4x4.
Well,
Since then, we have purchased a caravan, but it comes in a touch over the 2000kg permitted for the D40 we have...YES 2000kg:rant:, I thought all D40's were 3000kg towing braked, but not so, only 4x4 units.

We have a Patrol to tow the van at the moment but thats all it's used for.

So, the question.....Can our D40 be upgraded to bring the towing weight cap up to either 2500kg or 3000kg braked?? same as you can with a Ford. (just by having the heavy duty tow system fitted)
I currently have the 3000kg HR towbar fitted and wired with electric brake controler.
I don't understand why our D40 can't take the 3T that the 4x4 models can, after all we have a bigger engine, body is the same, and I assume the transmition is better as well.

Any suggestions :idea:would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get rid of the Patrol.

Cheers :cheers!:

Richard

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that within reason all vehicles can be modified for extra towing but exact rules would depend on the state your in which means it would be worth talking to either the roads corp in your state or mechanics/roadworthy agents etc.

I would imagine that an engineer's certificate would be required and kept in the vehicle at all times, I doubt that the chassis & brakes are vastly different to the other models.

Is the petrol transmission weaker on the 2WD than the 4WD? are they the same, fairly sure the diff is?

you would have to compare all driveline and brake specs to that of the 4x4, and tow bar mounting and rating. then the tare weights of the 4x2 and 4x4. Take it to your engineer and get it okayed. About to do this with my gu ute(the wagons can tow 1000kg more with the exact same drivetrain, the difference is in the tare weights).

Thanks for all your replies so far. :cheers!:
Just an update from today's challenges.I contacted the Tech division of the RTA, they say Nissan probably won't allow an upgrade, but worth a shot at it.
So I rang Nissan, and they advise because of legal reasons, they cannot approve it because the vehicle(model) has not been tested for higher capacity. :puke:
So, have just put a call in on an approved engineer to see what he say's, so just waiting for a call back.
So far not so good :hmmmm:

Back