Towing manual v auto

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

500 ford

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am just looking for some info I am looking at purchasing my first Navara I am wondering which is better for towing Manual or Auto ( open car trailer with 2800pd car on the back.) I am looking at a turbo diesel not petrol and a 2009/2010 model not sure if that matters.
thanks in advance for your help
Shane

Power wise they tow great, I'd definatly go auto for that weight though. I'm getting auto for my next as hill starts hurt the clutch a bit even with my 900kg trailer.

Auto, hands down. Although the D40 has plenty of power to do the job they are a little gutless down low particularly just off idle. This along with known clutch issues, it's not a good combination for towing.

yep, I have a manual and it has no problem towing a cube of builders mix up my steep driveway, but if you are going to be towing all the time I think an auto would be the way to go.

Have manual 2013 towing trady trailer daily. It tows very we'll, but only take off is a pain at times, bogs down hard till turbo spools up then has no problem at all. So guess auto would be better as you have to ride the clutch a little.

Towing manual vs auto

A torque converter has the ability to multiply torque by upto two and a half times the engine output when starting from a dead stop. By this virtue alone, the auto wins hands down for towing duties.

Foxy.:rock:

Auto most def, if your pulling a fair weight or have loads of wind resistance invest in a larger transmission cooler,it will be your best friend.

Another vote for automatic. As much as I love manuals, anything with a turbo just generally works better in automatic.

No getting off the accelerator to change gears is one example. Just keep that foot planted and take boost from 0-100km/h.

i would not buy a manual d40 if u are going to be towing all time once your going they go extremely well but getting going on a hill with a load on takes a lot of practice and the 6 speed even though its only one extra seems add a lot of extra gear changes

Another vote for the auto.

Manual first gear is a little high in ratio, so take-offs aren't nice when heavy. The manuals of that era also had dual mass flywheels, which tended to cook clutches after 25-30,000km when used a little hard. The 2009 auto STX has a 126kW engine and the 2010 STX has a 140kW engine, so if they are your choices, go for the later model. You'll probably get a different turbocharger actuator (a more reliable electronic, rather than vacuum version) as well as the extra beans.

Auto all the way. Or due to their lovely lack of a power or tow button means a slite change from just d and forget.

Latest posts

Back