towing with 2008 D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott22

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a new boat with a towing weight approx. 2300kg.Do you think my 2008 D22 (2.5tlr) will handle the weight for mostly highway towing.No mods to the engine,heavy duty ARB rear springs and shocks.Has anyone out there towed this sort of weight.
Cheers,Scott.

I can't say for the 2.5L, but I have the ZD30 and I towed a discovery on a car trailer from Sydney to lithgow and back again (about 150kms each way). About 2-2.5T of weight. I have a steinbaurer chip and front mount even with that I was back to first up some of the hills. Once on the highway tho it sat on between 90-100 easily..

just towed a camper trailer 4000km, weighing about 900kg. I dont think a 2300kg load would be preferable. If you are considering, I think a chip and exhaust upgrade would be a must. Similar to Buzza view, you will sit on 100k no worries, but getting started and up hills will be tough.

Hate to say it mate but make friends with someone who knows how to replace clutches.

I've had a little over 2 tonne behind my 2.5 D22 a couple of times and it's not been fun either time. It's not too bad once you're moving but getting started is a pain, either it bogs down or you're slipping the clutch lots.

Personally I think 1500kg is about as much as I'd be towing on a regular basis.

Thanks for the replies.Might have to look at getting a smaller boat.Gotta wonder why Nissan even rate them to 2.8 ton for towing.

The manual hubs are a good thing.

Start off in low range on the hills and pull up and shift back to high range on the flat.

Saves your clutch.

The ZD30 would tow better, but there wouldn't be much in it out of the 2.

Thanks for the advice guys.My last boat only weighed around 1200kg so towing wasn't really an issue.Whaterver boat I buy next will weigh at least 1800kg so I'm going to have to do some engine mods.I've just aranged for the local exhaust shop to fit a 2 3/4 exhaust and dump pipe,I'll add a pyrometer later on.My question is,do the EGT probes have a standard sized fitting ,what size fitting should I get them to tap into the turbo manifold.Exhaust shop hav'nt done a pyro before.
Next on the list will be a chip.
Thanks again.
Scott.

Hey Scott. I think the right thread for EGT probe is a 1/8NPT or BSP. Mine is. NPT fitting. Also search Google and you may find a few answers or even search this site

Thanks for the advice guys.My last boat only weighed around 1200kg so towing wasn't really an issue.Whaterver boat I buy next will weigh at least 1800kg so I'm going to have to do some engine mods.I've just aranged for the local exhaust shop to fit a 2 3/4 exhaust and dump pipe,I'll add a pyrometer later on.My question is,do the EGT probes have a standard sized fitting ,what size fitting should I get them to tap into the turbo manifold.Exhaust shop hav'nt done a pyro before.
Next on the list will be a chip.
Thanks again.
Scott.

Gday Scott
I tow my caravan which weighs in at 1836Kg and even with the Engine mods it does struggle to get up hills. Before the chip i was ready to sell the car. like Dave said i use low range a lot to save the clutch. You soon learn to keep the momentum going up hills and i try never to get below 2000 rpm on the hills or else the engine will just bog down . I seriously don't know how Nissan ever came up with the idea that these things could tow 2.8 ton comfortably.

Last edited:
These motors in our 07 onwards d22 were not actually designed for this specific car.1 hint is the turbo sitting on the firewall.2 being its lack of ghetto and engine size. This motor was made for the Urvan and was forced into our engine bays cause of its euro grading. So they are really not made to tow anything huge and I certainly wouldn't. Even after fitting the chipit unit to my car today I wouldn't expect it to tow 3tonne without burning my clutch.

I towed a car on a trailer that would have grossed about 2100kg and it went well. at one stage on a slight incline i struggled and had to slip the clutch and probably should have started in low range.

I reckon in reality they do a good job of towing for a 4 cyl.

Regards
Greg

These motors in our 07 onwards d22 were not actually designed for this specific car.1 hint is the turbo sitting on the firewall.2 being its lack of ghetto and engine size. This motor was made for the Urvan and was forced into our engine bays cause of its euro grading. So they are really not made to tow anything huge and I certainly wouldn't. Even after fitting the chipit unit to my car today I wouldn't expect it to tow 3tonne without burning my clutch.

The UK and alot of Europe had the YD25DDTI when we had the ZD30DDT in the D22's.

Glad we got the ZD30's, the old YD25's had a tendency to throw a rod through the block.

Latest posts

Back