Truck randomly not starting PTR -RDY

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade193

Reaction score
Twice in the last 5 weeks i've tried to start the truck and it just ticks and says PTR RDY on the dash. Roadside comes out jump starts it, turns it off tries to start it and it works. He did it 3 times and said a flat battery shouldn't keep starting, then he noticed that none of the instrument cluster was working, so he disconnected the negative (which we know on here is a common technique) and the cluster started working.
He ran a diagnostic test on the battery and it was fine, alternator fine, no draw on the battery.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Rang my dealership who said he'd never heard of it.

Thanks in advance.

Any ideas as to what would cause a random voltage drop?

The battery is 2 years old, same age as the truck.
The roadside technician attached a diagnostic tool onto the battery and it said the battery was fine and the charging system. I asked him if i replace the battery will it fix the problem and he said it may not because the cause is unknown.

Spoke to Nissan who said they'd never heard of it, but might be a starter motor issue. Hmm.

I've been told that the maintenance free battery's can just go and don't give an indication that they are on the way out like the old style.
I was hoping i wasn't the first to experience it.

Hey Wade also check your battery terminals are not loose or dirty i got caught out recently with a loose positive after the muster that was sending it into limp mode but modern batteries can and do fail after a few years so perhaps that's your issue fingers crossed.I am surprised the dealer was unable to diagnose what that code meant it's very common.

Had the battery load tested and they said it was fine. They suggested it could be a starter motor as well, cause if it sticks it could cause a voltage drop. If it is the starter then it could be an issue to have it replaced because the chances of it failing whilst the dealer has it are slim. Hopefully they can change it without much fuss.
I'll check the terminals as well, thanks for the tip.

How about the negative connections from the battery to the engine and body ? Might be worth cleaning them up.

Latest posts

Back