tub fills up with sand, dust and rocks from under the mudgaurds :(

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qqc d22

Reaction score
Does everyones tubs on there d22 have holes under the top of the lip of there tub and a big gap behind the back wheel that spits crap up in there so it can vibrate out into the tray for months to come?
It is really pissin me off, im just about to jam a couple of tubes of silicone up there to stop it. Whats the point of having a canopy when the back fills up with sand and dirt anyway :/

So are there plugs that fit these holes and nissan in the quest to save money have not put them in the newer d22's or are they all like it.
any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers Dale

Don't realy have a problem I still have the tub liner in :redcool:

BTW I have a canopy on avatar is an old pic !

with a tub liner i imagine if it was happening it would fall between the liner and the tub and you wouldnt notice it.

If you sit in my canopy on a fairly still day and hold your hand under the side lip you can feel air freely flowing in through there

Yeah I'm real sick of it filling up with dust everytime I hit a state forest that's for sure.

Yep got the same problem. I've sealed the long oval holes along the edges with that silver tar weather tape stuff for roofs.

The front holes are a different story as they're massive with a couple edges so the tape couldn't seal. So I just jammed two chunks of seat foam into them to stop stuff coming up. That way I can take them out and still jam a hose in there to wash out all the sand and mud after offroading.

I've also put a strip of that foam door seal stuff along the bottom of the tail gate and its been holding up well. Just need to find a solution for the sides of the tailgate and i'll be set. I've seen clark rubber stuff that worked for the sides of the tailgate but I've been to all the ones in Brisbane and can't find the size I need. :(

G'day all

If you can find some of that closed cell foam stuff that TV's etc come backed in now days, it jamb's in holes really well. It doesn't absorb much moisture and, for me, seems to seal up all those openings that have been talked about in the wheel arch area as well as the rim of the tub.

As for the tail gate and canopy rear door ??? That is not part of the wheel arch and is just the "swirl" from behind the vehicle.

I have put in an engine bay air pump system from the boat place to put a slight positive air pressure in the canopy / tub. Seems to work. I had much less dust after than before. My canopy is, unfortunately, not really well designed for dust and water. I would like to be asked by Flexiglass for my opinions, but, I don't think that will be happening.

I don't know that you can seal them completely, I'd be interested to hear of any success stories.

Goldy

Aaaah, this is very informative. After our trip out west on lots of dusty roads, I wondered why the tub had so much dust in it. This would explain why.

Foam is an excellent idea just so you can pull it out and hose the sand out of there, I knew there was a reason I haven't jammed them full of silicone yet :)
As for the rear door in the tub I was going to run ally angle around the opening then put foam tape on it but due to the way my rear draws slide out they won't clear the angle at the bottom :/
Back to the drawing board for that one. Will go and cut some foam now and plug up the holes under the lip :) thanks for the idea

I dunno about holes in the bottom of the tub (mine is a D40 anyway) and to be honest mine spends that much time with dirt and crap in it I wouldn't know if dirt got in under the utli-track or not and I just wash it out when it does. But to me the gaps in the tail gate although they don't need to be the size they are are quite helpful.

On the road in hot weather sure dust gets in but the gaps allow air flow from front to back and it passes right through the fridge motor so the fridge isn't constantly working in hot air and it does the same for any inverter I have run. Most utes I have seen have similar gaps in the tailgate, I once thought it was poor design but now I reckon it's for those of us with canopies who understand how fresh(er) air can benefit us :big_smile:

I'd rather filter fresh air in for the fridge that way when I restock it with fresh beers they don't have an inch of dust on them from the last 100kms of dirt road.
Just jammed the holes under the lip full of foam it will work but yeah. If your going to do it use closed cell foam I was driving around in a slight drizzle of rain this morning and there is moisture up there just from that.
Also going to have to silicone along the hole under side of the lip where the inner and outer tub meet as it also let's sand and dust fall through there :(

I think the foam will be a tempory measure and I will make up some ally plates and double sided tape them in place on the front and middle holes and just silicone the very back one up as water will still be able to flow through there to clean it out.
Sucks that you can just buy a plug to fit in there it's a piss poor design IMO.

The tailgate you expect to have air gaps but not the tub itself. If I got a canopy or hard lid fitted by Nissan and every time I went on the beach it had sand falling out from under the top lip into the tub id be going back to murder someone.

The dust is something you can live with even tho it is terrible but having beach sand constantly stuck up there and falling out under storage draws in the back is a pain in the arse.
I pulled them out washed out the tub to get rid of sand that I couldn't work out how it even got there only to open it two days later and find its full of sand again even no I'd been no where near a beach. Pita

The D40 tub is a little different, it doesn't seem to have the same holes as the D22. There is two holes on the front wall which are easily got at but no others I have found, the utli-track does cover at least 3 though.

So short of putting A/C air into the tub which has been done and looks like way too much effort for the benefit the only way I get straight through air flow front to back is from the front window of the canopy which is open unless its pissing down. Sure it gets dusty at times but I carry more dust on boots and stuff than gets in via the canopy window and theory (even if it is only my theory) says if air is coming in at the front its pushing out the back so the tailgate is only an issue when I go backwards and it blows all the dust into the rear widow of the cab :big_smile:

Far bigger piss off for me is the little pockets where the mud flaps mount, not sure if they are on the D22 but each side of the D40 has a pocket about 10mm deep by 40-50mm wide which holds a nice wad of mud and cow shit. It's easy to overlook while washing and short of digging it out even a high pressure washer doesn't always get it all out.

will post a pic of how i have sealed my tailgate, not the best but is seems to work! also found the holes under the lip of the tub, will be taping them up asap!

bryan

Some one with a white D22 had pics ages ago which showed all the holes in a D22 tub but I don't remember who it was.

As ruff as gaffa tape is it might be the best way and easiest way to tackle it I think
Might need something a bit different for the very frOnt one but would work well on all others

Another reason for me to stop being a tight arse and make a steel tray and throw the tub where it belongs in the scrap metal yard :D

Haha tell me your Indian secrets I can't fit sqwat in mine compared to a tray. Tubs shorter narrower has gay wheel arches in it gotta climb in it like a monkey to get to stuff up the front or hang over the side of the tub like your a stretch Armstrong doll.

Maybe you can fit more in there with your Indian secrets :p

Latest posts

Back