Tubes in 4x4 tires?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooba_285

Reaction score
just wondering if putting a tube in a 4x4 tyre is an option? ive heard it stops you being able to run low PSI, reason i ask is i had a slow leak and had a look today and ive got a screw in my tyre

i dunno, havent looked into it, just thought tubes were how its done like with a normal car

I don't know what is normal these days but I had a plug put in my factory tyre about 4 weeks ago because of a screw and last week we had one of the Coopers on the Playdo plugged for the same reason

the repair kit plugs fix everything :) i used one in my navara tyre, done atleast 20thou on it and still no probs :)

Nope... Not anymore atleast...
Remove tyre, plug, refit an re balance.
Or just a cheapy rubber plug and glue..

ive used a plugga kit in my old bridgestones and it lasted 10000kms till i replaced the full set of rubber. its pretty hard to find a tube in any motor vehicle these days.

Rusty

Drop it off at the tyre joint and they will patch it.
Or plug it yourself.
Had a stone hole patched last week, $30.

They can put a patch on the inside, they grind/sand around the area and then glue on the patch.

BUT if the hole is to close to the sidewall they prefer to put a tube in because the patch can fail when its too close to the side wall.
The reason i know is JAX Quick fit had to put a tube in my 95mod Hilux with A/T's a few weeks ago.

The other thing is that the plugs are meant to be a temporary fix only, even though we all leave them in as long as we get away with it.

Tyre shops aren't allowed to plug or patch a tyre with a hole through the shoulder or side wall because of legislation which outlaws the practice to keep things simplistic but I have found that some good tyre places will make a judgment call and repair tyres that others won't.

Tempory plugs are just that, get them fixed properly by a tyre shop it only costs $20-30 and they will check the tyre while repairing it. A punctured tyre with a tempory patch may also have unseen damage to the steel ply which may lead to a blowout down the track. A proper repair will also stop moisture getting into the plys of the tyre.

Latest posts

Back