Turbo blown twice 1 after the other

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0709autod40

Reaction score
Hi everyone I hope all is well I always use a lot of advice on here but first time posting,

I have a 2007 d40 auto stx Spanish built I took it for a trip from Sydney to Victoria recently and the turbo started to squeal once I got home so I had a look and the shaft was very hard to turn and the impellars had little chunks taken out (it could have been making that noise on the way home but couldn’t hear as it was raining). So I purchased a second hand one no play in it it looked real good I fitted it up and started it after a couple of minutes I gave it a little rev and heard the same noise but with a pop sound I pulled the front off to check the shaft and it was stuffed like the last one. My question is did I do something wrong or is there a bigger problem thankyou and much appreciated

i would be good to see some pics of them.
depending on where the little chunks are, it could be a sign of water or oil going into the intake.
the other thing to check is the oil supply.

My first guess would be oil supply. These things spin fast - 60,000rpm is a slow one - try doing that without oil in the bearings!

Although it would be very (very) unusual, it would be interesting to see what's coming out of the PCV when the engine is warm (a catch can will grab a lot of this). There should be an air filter catching anything coming in the intake, so the only thing left (assuming the filter is there) to place anything in the impeller is the PCV.

If (engine off) you look inside the oil filler cap area, does it look like there's any clumping? It's ok for the surfaces to look dark, diesel oil goes black fairly quickly (soot from blowby) but it's not good to see sludge.

Oil is fed into the turbocharger from a small line that reaches into the middle of the turbo, and returns via a large (20mm or so) pipe via gravity into the sump area. When I inspected the inside of the return pipe on mine (using an inspection camera) everything looked clean and there was not a sign of any contaminants, but more importantly, you could see straight past the oil-return adapter into the turbocharger, there was no excess gasket cement coming out of the joint (which causes the oil to back up and cause other issues) and there was no sign of any debris or glitter (indicating a bearing in the process of self-destruction).

Second hand turbos are a bit of a lottery. You can get a cheapy off eBay (usually a Chinese copy) and these aren't terrible - I have one, it might have been on the car for a few thousand km (not much, really) and I replaced it with a genuine Garrett - I had thought at the time that my turbo was failing because I couldn't see the smoke colour properly, I thought it was blue - when it was actually whitish/grey, caused by my car trying to regen the DPF! Expensive mistake, I know. And no, I'm keeping it, I'll carry it with me as a spare for those long trips. I don't think there's anything wrong with cheap ones, but for the "main game" I'll stick to Garrett. A mob in Brisbane sells these for around $1500.

I'd fit a catch can though, to make sure there's nothing coming through that causing any issues.

My question is did I do something wrong or is there a bigger problem thankyou and much appreciated

Two things I found that were overlooked by mechanics in my many years of Heavy Plant maintenance was,firstly, they did not check the turbo oil supply and second they did not check if those chucks of vane that they see missing off the intake impeller had been flung back upstream in the intake tube only to be sucked back into the new spinning turbo when started destroying it .

Latest posts

Back