Turbo cool down

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5942

Reaction score
I know it's really important, but do I need to let it cool down every time?

Most of my driving around is very cosy, revs don't go beyond 2500. Is it still needed then?

Thanks!

Even if you do hill climbs or hard driving, all you really need to do is ensure that the last 2-3 minutes of your drive are done gently. 2500rpm is enough to heat the turbo - it's in mid-range boost at that point.

What the guys said. Side note if you don't have an intercooler I'd wait a little longer, but most of the time you dont drive a car hard enough to have to turbo red hot.....

Even if you do hill climbs or hard driving, all you really need to do is ensure that the last 2-3 minutes of your drive are done gently. 2500rpm is enough to heat the turbo - it's in mid-range boost at that point.

What I meant is just getting around, not even highway driving. It's not prolonged 2500rpm, it reaches there for a split second before I change gears.

That still raises the temps. Not as much, of course, and its probably gentle enough to not be overly concerned. Is an intercooler fitted? Intercoolers are reasonable at improving performance and superb at catching bits of turbocharger.

That still raises the temps. Not as much, of course, and its probably gentle enough to not be overly concerned. Is an intercooler fitted? Intercoolers are reasonable at improving performance and superb at catching bits of turbocharger.

Ok, thanks for that.

I'll see if I can moderate my driving even further, change gears at 2200rpm. If I have to wait 2 minutes every time I drive anywhere it will just drive me crazy.

I don't have an intercooler just yet (working hard on putting one soon though), however coming back to original point, the intercooler may help in protecting the engine but from what you are saying the turbo would still need to cool down practically after every drive, right?

The turbo will probably be fine - I do like to err on the side of caution. I generally let mine idle into where I'm going and while I'm making sure that the vehicle is stopped properly, handbrake on, vehicle in park etc before I shut the engine down - the little checking I do wastes a bit more time and so the turbo gets a little extra cooling.

The way to tell of course is to put an EGT probe on the exhaust manifold. This will tell you what temps the turbo is being subjected to.

The turbo will probably be fine - I do like to err on the side of caution. I generally let mine idle into where I'm going and while I'm making sure that the vehicle is stopped properly, handbrake on, vehicle in park etc before I shut the engine down - the little checking I do wastes a bit more time and so the turbo gets a little extra cooling.

The way to tell of course is to put an EGT probe on the exhaust manifold. This will tell you what temps the turbo is being subjected to.

Thanks, Tony.

I do the same - close the windows, take off the phone and wallet, put my seatbelt back, etc - only then shut down the engine.

Intercooler, boost gauge, and EGT gauge, are all on my immediate todo list..

Thanks again!

egt gauge is a good way to tell what temp the turbo is at.

cool down time depends a lot on what you do just before you park. if its an uphill drive then you will need to let it cool down. these turbo's are only oil cooled so always need to cool down before shutting engine off.

as mentioned before, as long as the last ~1/2 mins of your journey is not full blast then there is no real need to let her cool down.

the only reason they let them sit at idle, is to ensure the oil inside the turbine casing does not cook...this will happen if you shut down the engine (stop oil flow) while the turbo is really hot. If you let it idle for a bit the turbo will still have fresh oil re-circulating through it, it will cool down and wont cook the oil in side it.

if it does cook the oil, it build up as a sludge inside the turbo and eventually will **** you bearings.

I allways let the old girl run for about 30 secionds or so, get the phone/wallet/bag/whatever out of the car before shutting it down....

i wont leave it idling for much more than that, unless im coming back to drive it...if the car absolutly needed to stay idle after running, it would be built into the car and it would have a turbo timer from factory...

anyway..

as above.

just remember that the turbo has two big heat sources bolted to it. the manifold and dump pipe/cat. both can be very hot and as they are heavy (ie large mass) they hold onto a lot of heat, which goes into the turbo when you shutoff.

30secs cool down on a hard drive is all you need. Dont need to worry to much if you are not belting it for the last point of the drive home

ive got a turbo timer. I always let it go for 1min after I turn the key off.
ive also got a egt guage taped into the manifold. most of the time wen I pull up its sits at 200c. (my gauge only goes as low as 200) but some times ud be surprised it sits between 200 to300 and slowly gose down.
is 200c a good temp to shut down?

Latest posts

Back