turbo informatiom

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordo

Reaction score
hi there,
this is my first post !
can anyone help me with a problem with my05 3.0lt - there seems to be a dead spot and stuttering when i am in 3rd - 1st,2nd good - 4th not bad , 5th good but i cannot hear the usual " whistling of the turbo " that i was used to hearing . i have had the air and fuel filter changed and also new hoses on the turbo changed ( which were split) any ideas would be great

thanks

help needed turbo ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi there,
this is my first post !
can anyone help me with a problem with my05 3.0lt - there seems to be a dead spot and stuttering when i am in 3rd - 1st,2nd good - 4th not bad , 5th good but i cannot hear the usual " whistling of the turbo " that i was used to hearing . i have had the air and fuel filter changed and also new hoses on the turbo changed ( which were split) any ideas would be great

thanks

Are you certan that it is the turbo??
It sounds like it may be the neutral position switch which is linked to the heat switch. It is very common on the 3lt D22.
You can disconnect the "NPS" on the gear box to test if this is your problem. this will not effect anything else, but will soon let you know if this is the problem. If the symptom go then just leave it disconnected, or buy another switch. i just left mine disconnected and never had any more problems.
here are some links to older threads on how to disconnect the "NPS"
http://www.navara.asia/d22-engine/10006-d22-surging-problem.html

http://www.navara.asia/d22-engine/7407-engine-studders-under-load.html

http://www.navara.asia/d22-engine/782-2004-d22-surging-2nd-3rd-gear.html

have a read through these and all will be explained

It could be the neutral position switch which is what I'd look at first (search the forum, there are posts with pictures of exactly where it is).

It could also be a failing turbocharger. They can fail if you shut the engine down too quickly after using a lot of power - for example, driving along at freeway speeds, stopping and turning off the engine immediately. The turbocharger would be red hot and the oil stops pumping, allowing the heat to bake the oil into the bearings which eventually destroys the bearings.

Conscious management, a turbo timer, or an EGT gauge are the solutions to that - if that's your problem.

To know it it's your turbo bearings, clean your hands thoroughly and pop the intake hose off the front of the turbo (cool/cold engine, don't do this if it's hot!). The turbo shaft should not wiggle at all and the fan should spin freely and smoothly. If not, then the bearings are on the way out and you NEED to pay attention to it NOW.

If you don't, and the fan destroys itself, parts of it will make their way very quickly into the engine and damage the engine - it's a very expensive repair. It's actually much cheaper to buy a new turbocharger and add an intercooler (which would catch broken bits of turbocharger) than it is to repair the engine after the turbo self-destructs.

A big thankyou

thanks for the expert advice - i disconnected the NPS ( thanks for all the links to this topic, especially the photo,s) took the car for a good drive - its running perfect . i am so thankful -
what a great web site ,

Latest posts

Back