turbo oil leak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbk1776

Reaction score
Hi All

I found a similar case on this thread http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=17115 with leaking oil from the turbo and intake hose, however I took some photos of my current problem and hope someone can give me more insight how to tackle this. The other thread didn't have photos so I am providing one. I am worried that the oil may caught fire or worst scenario a totally different problem from the first thread.

see photos

turboleak1.jpg

turboleak2.jpg

What do I have to do? is it time for Oil Catch Can? or turbo rebuild or new?

Catch can would be a good start. That oil is just from blow by, you would be very unlucky for it catch fire. You can degrease it if you want, but you will need to pull the pipes off to clean the inside of them too.

its not uncommon for the turbo on the zd30 to get oil in those areas and from the photos it doesnt look to excessive, maybe just give it a degrease and a pressure wash and continue to monitor how fast and how much oil returns, make sure all clamps are nipped up but be careful not to over tighten them.
As for the snapped bolt im pretty sure that is an allen head bolt and is bolted from the other side of the turbo from where the pic is taken and i had one of those fall out on my ZD30 so they are well worth checking.

Catch can would be a good start. That oil is just from blow by, you would be very unlucky for it catch fire. You can degrease it if you want, but you will need to pull the pipes off to clean the inside of them too.

Thanks for the feedback - so nothing really major right? I might order a catch can tomorrow and try to install it over the weekend.

by the way I will add to this thread that I only did a major service 3 weeks ago - might be inline with too much oil put in.

S

I checked it last night I can see that the leaks is on very slow
To slow pace - ill clean it up this weekend and install a
Catch can - however ill monitor it if still leaks

Definitely needs a catch can. I had the same build up for 18 months. Had mechanics telling me I need a turbo rebuild. Finally put my catch can in 2 weeks ago and.......no more oil.

The place where you pointed out the oil leak from is the air line to the turbo. The only way oil can get there is from the blow by pipe, as mentioned above. Catch can obviously catches the oil and feeds oil free air into that line.

Thanks all

This will be my task this weekend install a catch can - ill keep everyone posted and will take photos of before and after

Latest posts

Back