Turbo outlet leak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soap

Reaction score
Has anyone else had oil leaking around the main outlet to the cooler at the turbo? My car has 9300khs on it and I've noticed this, its due for service this Friday and ill get them to look at this but I'm wondering if this is common

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375155762635.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375155762635.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 210
  • uploadfromtaptalk1375155802178.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375155802178.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 203
  • uploadfromtaptalk1375155839774.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375155839774.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 196
It looks like oil "blow-by" that comes from the PCV hose... Take off the hoses, clean out the black gunk, refit... Wipe down / degrease the steel pipe to remove the stain..

I recently cleaned my whole air-box - Throttle body system.. it was FULL of that crap..

Just make sure you re-tighten the hose clamps tight so no boost leak occurs..

Suggest fitting a "Oil Catch Can" setup to stop this re-occuring.. ProVent 200 is a great system for this.

yes/no
while oil from the breather is common, oil on the turbo outlet can also indicate a turbo thats leaking oil and is about to fail.
clean up the oil, undo the breather so it breathes to the outside air and plug the connection to the intake. if new oil appears on the intake then its from the turbo.

I say normal.

Both my D40's have done this. Old one has done 252,000km and new one has 56,000km without problems.

I question Nissan about it on the old one at one of it's services and they removed the pipe and checked everything but came back saying everything is normal.
It's pretty common knowledge that YD25's are fumy engines.

I keep meaning to put a catch can in but never seem to get around to it.

Last edited:
its normal. most new engines do it.. a catch can will stop most of it. keep an eye on the oil level when you pick it up from Nissan after a service. every time I picked mine up they had slightly over filled the oil. this will make it blow loads more oil through the turbo. they are very sensitive to oil level so don't over fill.. slightly under the mark is good. the oil going through there wont really hurt anything but it can combine with the egr fumes and turn to sludge and cause blockages. so a catch can is best....

Thanks for the replies, Ill still see what Nissan say but i think ill invest in a catch can with a filter from what ive read in here

If it's leaking outside the charge air hoses you've also got a boost leak. I don't have a catch can, I have NO oil leaking outside the charge air side - there is oil INSIDE the hose, but outside is as dry as a bone.

Its nissans usual fix to sikaflex the hose back on to stop the weeping. out of sight out of mind is there approach....

that's sounds about right -"4naving" ! unreal aren't they !

With the breather pipe issue- I use a "Uni Filter" in a standard repositioned air box and then ran that breather pipe directly into the air box . This takes the heavy draw from the pipe and any oil that does make it through after the catch can goes into a pre oiled filter- simple fix ! works well with less draw/vacume/pressure on that hose 200klms and not a drop ! I have pictures of the box on my page feel free to have a look ,') cheers zed

Dropped off for service today and they even said it was normal for a D40 to do this as well. All they are going to do is clean it and tighten the clamp

Look around the clamp in a week and see if there's more oil there. Might be some grit or a thread or something allowing the stuff to leak out. It's something I'd have seen to, but if they're not going to do it, there's no reason why you can't. With everything clean (and using a cloth that doesn't shed - like microfibre) remove the hose, clean the mating faces and reinstall. Don't overtighten - a pinched hose is just as leaky as a loose one.

I assume you mean coolant - the turbocharger is liquid-cooled. You could check the coolant lines to see if they show signs of the leak, it might be a gasket or just a loose bolt.
So the lines on the bottom of the turbo are coolant lines and if I don't have a gasket any suggestions on what to make the gasket out of

So the lines on the bottom of the turbo are coolant lines and if I don't have a gasket any suggestions on what to make the gasket out of

There's also an oil feed as well. It's hot there, you could use any exhaust-rated material for the gasket. Try this one:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FPG2499?cid=social_blog_102018_exhaust_gasket
You might even get away just using some Permatex copper sealant:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...--ultra-copper-85g/114976.html?cgid=SCA010810
otherwise you might need to chase the gaskets from Garrett (there's a mob in Brisbane who sell genuine Honeywell Garrett turbos).

There's also an oil feed as well. It's hot there, you could use any exhaust-rated material for the gasket. Try this one:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FPG2499?cid=social_blog_102018_exhaust_gasket
You might even get away just using some Permatex copper sealant:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...--ultra-copper-85g/114976.html?cgid=SCA010810
otherwise you might need to chase the gaskets from Garrett (there's a mob in Brisbane who sell genuine Honeywell Garrett turbos).
Cheers mate just a question.... my 2007 stx is blowing alot ot black smoke when turbo spoils up and Neven sometimes when just cruising along would that be my injectors

Cheers mate just a question.... my 2007 stx is blowing alot ot black smoke when turbo spoils up and Neven sometimes when just cruising along would that be my injectors

It could be a lack of air too. The turbo might be spooling up, but if it's not spooling enough for the fuel being supplied it'll blow black smoke.

Three major causes for black smoke: excessive EGR (displacing air), insufficient air (bad turbo or turbo control) or excessive fuel.

There are three things you can do immediately:

1) Injector cleaner. It never hurts. Who cares what brand, it doesn't matter as long as it's not Fosters or Guiness;

2) Block the EGR if it isn't already (perhaps temporarily, then EGR valve replacement would be the solution if this fixes it); and

3) Examine the turbocharger. Check the shaft - does it wobble? Look in the hose coming out of the turbo, are there any metal flakes present? Does the boost pressure appear normal, peaking around 20psi or so?

Latest posts

Back