Turbo PLAY!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawry

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Ive searched this site high and low and i cant find out what the standard amount of play in for the "stock turbo".
I have noticed a noise occurring above 2000rpm.
sounds like a siren :/
Ive just taken the intake pipe off and had a look at the turbine wheel.
there is a small amount of oil.. (need a catch can)
The turbo was supposedly changed at around 100K. Nissan recall in WA?? car is currently 116k. (the turbo looks new)
now... the turbo spin freely. however there is play side to side and you can push the turbine back (towards exhaust side) by a mm...ish
The side to side movement is around the same.
the car has been sitting for a while.... does the play "take up" whilst the car runs.
would it hurt to start the car and then test the movement??????

what should i look for??

cheers Matt

Don't panic, check all your egr pipes and intake pipes first. Its a horrible noise

sorry mate time to recon the turbo.
however check the cheap options first.

but i would check to see if its hitting the sides or not before you fire it up again. thats often what causes the noise. downside is its sometimes the turbine that hits which means pulling the exhaust or turbo out.

i just had my other 4x4 turbo recon'ed as it blew oil out the compressor side. no noise but play was big and had scrape marks on the turbine.
not worth risking blowing the entire motor for the sake of a turbo rebuild.

What Tweak'e said, plus ...

You have to consider what is causing the turbocharger to do that. It's not supposed to wear out in 16,000km - the turbo in my own car has done 90,000km - and a great deal of that towing - and it's in fine condition.

Our turbochargers do require a little care - not directly, but it's vital all the same. When the engine is working moderately or harder, the turbocharger is soaking up a fair amount of heat - combustion heat is, after all, being pushed through the turbine to drive the turbocharger.

When the engine is stopped the oil no longer flows through the bearings in the turbo. If the turbo is still very hot, the oil in the bearings will start to cook, forming hard deposits on the inner surfaces of the bearing and when stressed, can (and will, and has before) cause catastrophic failure of the bearing. The subsequent collision of a high-rpm compressor wheel causes its detonation, resulting in the pieces both large and small heading straight into the combustion chambers, causing the inevitable total failure of the engine as well.

The best way to care for your turbocharger is to give it time to cool. You can either drive sedately for the last few km before arriving at your destination, or leave the engine running for a couple of minutes after you get there. A turbo timer will achieve this for you without forgetting, although they strictly aren't legal because you aren't allowed to leave the vehicle (technically that's being 3m or more from the vehicle) while the engine is running.

good point tony.

if your turbo's are failing quickly it would pay to get your oil tested and check how clean the catalytic converter on the back of the turbo is. if its blocked up it could heat up higher than normal and heat soak your turbo a lot more.

thanks for the reply's
i used sealant on the EGR block and it seems to be as air tight as possible.
I just went for a run without the intake on (sub 1km drive) to listen for any noises. Besides sounding like a fighter jet the turbo didn't make any strange noises.
the intake is now back on and the sound seemed to be there... just.
It sounds just like if you have a split in the door seals..and the air is finding its way in.
Anyway.. the car didnt seam to make this noise under load however it was when i was just engine braking down hill?

I never drive the car hard. however i need a turbo timer. How much would it be for a rebuild.
theres plenty of turbos online (ebay) but im not confident in the quality of the product.

I degrease the whole engine bay recently.. would it be possible to have dried out the serpentine belt tensioner????

cheers

You should be able to tell if the noise is coming from the tensioner or turbo- abit different.. try using a long metal object to "listen" to the bearing in any object by touching the suspected origin with the metal rod with 1 end and puting the other end against your ear (with the noise occuring) but be careful you don't contact the belt or another moving part!!!

You should be able to tell if the noise is coming from the tensioner or turbo- abit different.. try using a long metal object to "listen" to the bearing in any object by touching the suspected origin with the metal rod with 1 end and puting the other end against your ear (with the noise occuring) but be careful you don't contact the belt or another moving part!!!

yes thats fine, it just it doesnt do it on idle or stationary.. as far as i can seperate the noise at a standstill.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garrett-...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f189eacfc

would this be to large? or operate differently that the stock turbo?
cheers matt

thank you
its difficult as the engine ticks along perfectly at a stand still and during reving... i cant notice any noise.
however under load. i can just hear it.

would a garret Garrett GT2052V suit
there is one on ebay foe 350 (2nd hand)

However i am flat broke at the moment from rego,stamp duty, etc. as i have just purchased the car.

whats the cheapest option in regards to a turbo.

Cheers

Is it a 3 litre?
Check the 4 Allen head type bolts at rear of turbo they have been known to come loose.
You may have to remove heat shield to find them.

cheers

heat shield has been removed.
I think i'll need to remove the whole turbo... so im not half assing the job.
and yes its a zd30 with 116k on it. 03.
:)

I'm going to go back to FB's notion that it might just be a boost leak.

If the turbo is behaving, there's a good chance that there's a crack/split in the charge air hosing, or there's a crack/gap in the intercooler (if fitted) or in the EGR pipe on the intake side of the block that you put in (towards the intake manifold).

Have a look around these areas for signs of a slight oil leak. It might not be much, but the PCV oil will come out any leak and help you to find it.

Thanks Mate

What i have noticed is that on the "turbo to inlet manifold silicone tubing"there is a split.... or a separation. Whether or not this going all the way through im not sure. There pretty "scummy" lookingso im going to replace them both to see if that helps.
If not then thoroughly check the turbo....

fingers crossed

Cheers

Lawry said:
Thanks Mate

What i have noticed is that on the "turbo to inlet manifold silicone tubing"there is a split.... or a separation. Whether or not this going all the way through im not sure. There pretty "scummy" lookingso im going to replace them both to see if that helps.
If not then thoroughly check the turbo....

fingers crossed

Cheers

That is what my problem was

UPDATE
Ok ive replaced both turbo hoses.
Tightened the rear allen key bolts. some were just snug.
finally ive checked the belt and replaced the tension-er bearing (tapped out and pressed in a NSK bearing)
seems all good.

Noise is still there.......
i got my girlfriend to rev the engine, it seems to be coming from the left side of the engine (battery or brake booster side).
The Only thing i can think off is EGR pipes.

The car has plenty of power... but the noise is present under load in the higher rev range 2000+ probably finishes around 3000 either that or the engine gets to noisy to distinguish.
i can also separate it completely when the throttle is off as im "engine braking" down a hill.. even at low revs 1500+ its there....
so both power on and off
Its a MIX BETWEEN A WHISTLE AND WHINE NOISE.

PLUS- when the car is say in 4th and battling down low around 1000rpm there is a screech/ chalk board scratching noise (only for a split second)
BELT??? vibrating EGR gasket???

????? help? are there common areas around the EGR for leaks????

Cheers Matt

Last edited:
EGR tube & EGR guide tube gaskets can shit themselves. Carefully feel around the vavle for leaks.

I had a very similar noise to what you have described but mine disappeared when the new exhaust when on so i guess it must have been an exhaust leak at the turbo/dump pipe.

Thanks guys

Progress! well what i think is progress, i have noticed that there is a small amount of soot around one of the EGR connections....
Between Option one and two for the Blocking plates. (picture of super mod thread)

I have a blocked the EGR pipe at the manifold... so im going to add a second blocking plate straight out of the main EGR tube. that eliminated any leaks "up stream"....where the soot in located.

I will let you guys know tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Back