Tyre chipping problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipjack

Reaction score
My front stock tyres at 22000k.
Anyone else had a problem like this?
What if anything do you think I should do?
2012 D40 st ome suspension bar canopy etc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 95
I highly doubt you will have any luck with warranty on tyres as it is a "consumable" like brake pads ect, NO manufacturer covers those types of items.

If it were me i would just buy some decent tyres.

I still have my stockers on my second set of rims but they only ever see the Black top, i just wouldnt trust them off road at all, even after seeing Tyson from this forum giving them hell at Yalwal and the ZigZag area of Lithgow.

Thanks for the replies.
90% blacktop and 1 longish dirt road trip into Stanage Bay, about 170k return of dirt road. However I have done the same trip with a 2011 D40 (changed from manual to auto) and no problems with the stock tyres on that one.

It seems funny that only the front are doing it, the back ones are like new.
I will upgrade to decent tyre as soon as these wear out, just wanted to get the most out of them.

Last edited:
There is a small oval on the sidewall with 4 numbers in it. Indicates the date of manufacture.
The first two numbers are the week, the second the year.

Old, hard rubber would do this. Or sharp gravel.
Is it all 4? EDIT: read your next post of 2
Warranty will not cover tyres, true.
Although I have had a successful claim once with John Deere.

Last edited:
The chips do seem to all be in the same direction making me think its a wheel alignment issue.
If it was out then it would be dragging across the gravel given all the chips are in the same direction I think this is the cause and would explain why the rear wasn't effected...

ive seen this plenty of times and its usually from the diff binding causing the tread to rip! not saying its that exact issue but similar thing cause by the turn in etc

This is def caused by an alignment issue in the front.

So do you suggest a wheel alignment. The car does not pull at all though and the chips are on the inside and outside of both front tyres. The wear pattern seems even as well.

When did the problem appear? Was it after your one long run on the gravel? If so, then i would suspect pressures too high, and speed too high for the conditions.

Just seems to be in the last few months, did the stanage bay trip last May and just a few short dirt excursions in between.

If its just in the last few months, then I'm out of ideas. Certainly worth getting the alignment checked tho

Yep will do. I will let you guys know the outcome, thanks again for all the replies

2012 D40 ST 30,*** same problem with my stocks. I've lowed the pressurs and everything when off road. But as my tire guy pointed ot they are not even H/ts. What nissan has done is strange to say the less but put high perfomace tires on.

Warrent wise dont waste your time. I have a set of copper at3s been on almost as long as my stock. So At3 rear for about 20,000 now on the front. Have noticed the stocks doing the same as yours and the at3 arnt doing what i want. So I've bitten the bullet and about to order as set of 265/70/R17s muddies. Most of the driving I do is on the tar, ever now and then i get out on to the dirt mainly high speed dirt roads 80-100kph. My advice burn what you got and get a good set of a/ts or m/t.... if your only doing beach work and dirt road then i recoment the Cooper AT3s But if your wanting to do harder stuff look into a set of muddies or more aggrives A/ts STmaxx or atzp3s

Wheel alingment wont help and your up for new tred anyway so just get one done at the sametime. If you near Canberra I know of a guy that give 4wders good deals

Thanks tiger st am in Brisbane so can't take up the offer, cheers anyway.
Will probably just have to bite the bullet and get something decent.

Back