Tyre Shelf Life

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneD4T

Reaction score
Have a project vehicle(Ford maverick) that my son is rebuilding. Took tyres off rims to sandblast and repaint rims. The tyres that came off it are 31x10.5x15 unknown brand that still have heaps of tread however the tyre merchant we got to put the tyres back on the rims and balance them advised us the tyres where illegal as they where to old and we would not be able to get the vehicle registered when the time comes with these tyres. Other than tread depth which in this case is great how do you tell the age of a tyre and does the age of a tyre have a bearing on wether it is roadworthy or safe to drive on.

Cheers

WayneD4T

There is a code on the side wall that lets you know the age, do a google search and you should be able to find a chart explaining how to read it. There is/was a lot of talk a couple of years ago about the life span of a tyre, don't think I,ve ever heard its a roadworthy requirement to have tyres under a certain age

the old guy at my local bob jane told me its about 6 years when I asked him, he didn't say they would be illegal though.

Our tyres at work have a 7 year life. Regardless if whether they are on the vehicle or on a shelf. There is usually a 4 digit number pressed into the tyre wall. The first two being the week of the year and the last two digits being the year they were made. Eg 0712 = made in 7th week of 2012, around 3rd week of Feb.

Guys , seem to be dodging the question

WHAT IS LEGAL ????

rather than the guy down the road said ....... which is nothing more than opinion unless the statement is supported by... legislation

WHAT IS LEGAL ????

rather than the guy down the road said ....... which is nothing more than opinion unless the statement is supported by... legislation

As I said I don't believe it is a roadworthy requirement, and if its not there probably isn't any legislation . But if your keen ring your rta

WHAT IS LEGAL ????

Even a quick google shows tyre shops claiming there is no hard and fast rule whith older tyres, beau repairers recommend a tyre shop inspection

In NSW they do a rwc each year. They never check tyre age. Ask an inspection garage or RTA for a definitive answer.
You will know if they're too old once you drive on them. They'll be hard and slippery .

put some tyre shine on them when you take it for a roadworthy...

Funny you should say that as they do look schmiko with a bit of shine.
Many thanks for the replys and info, will look into the markings and see what I get and once the motor is done will drive to see how the tyres react. It goes without saying that his safety is worth more than the cost of another set of tyres

Cheers

WayneD4T

we had a old lady die on the motorway. car has low km's, wof the day before. because of low km's the tires where mint but old. one tire blew out going down the motorway. all over.

over this side of the ditch tire age is not normally a problem because our roads eat tires. however it can be an issue with imported tires.

there was a stink in the USA because of places sealing off old stock well past their used by date.

I remember an old fella,( probably 40 or 50) saying something to me about my tyres bla bla bla when I was a teen. I had something worthless to say att and he said " They're the only thing between you and the road and GETTING you there)."
He's bloody right too.....

The rabble generally say that 6 years is the life of a tyre as after that they become significantly brittle and fall apart. My 2c is that it is a broad rule of thumb and would depend on conditions, mileage, average temperature, sun exposure, driving conditions, load, ?.

I suspect because road conditions have improved so much that there is increased carnage from tyre blow outs this decade and the chatters have something new to talk about. Hmm, are stats even kept on this?

While I'll worry about it on the D22 and the camper trailer, I'll not bother with the old around town box trailer that Ii use for manure, gravel, road base, etc. Worst case will just be a trip home to grab the spare and replace it.

As to legal, in over thirty years of vehicle and trailer inspections(NSW), no one has ever checked the age of the tyre. Thread depth maybe, but age, never.

Latest posts

Back