Tyre width on standard 17 inch rim

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pac1977

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday went looking for tyre to replace the OEM tyres. Was hoping to go up a size to get a little more height and to go for a more standard size.
Was told that it's not legal to have a 265/65 - r17 on the standard 7 inch rim.

Ended up ordering some Maxiss 980's but paid an extra $150 for the privalige of the smaller tyre.

Anyone else have this issue.

And they said you can't go to 265/65?
I was searching for bigger tyres aswell and was told the standard 17 alloys are 7.5 wide..
It was my 'best interest' to go no bigger than 265/70-17
Did you really already by new tyres?

My book and all documentation I can find says the rims are 7.0 inches wide, that's why the restriction.

Have ordered the tyres but have not paid yet.

Regardless of the rim width i wouldn't see the big problem going from 255 -> 265
You'd only be going a bit taller aswell. Id be finding another shop to speak to find out the truth.
Was the shop your dealing with having a monthly maxis sale?

Haha no. It was an interesting discussion as they originally suggested the same thing, just go up a size and everything is easier. Then they got the book out and all the manufactures were saying the same thing, min 7.5 rim for a 265. So then they got the 'standards' book out (cant remember the name) and it said the same thing.

They initially started talking Khumo's but didin't have the 255's.

That is weird.

If I was you I'd get the 265/70.

I forgot to mention I also have the stock Spain 17" rims and am running 265/70 with no problems.

Sounds like the tyre dealer is trying to cover themselves from any legal claim arising from a different size fitted from new. Some wont even fit a smaller tyre than standard, it all depends who you deal with. They will always push whatever they have excess stock of too.

Well could have gone up to the 265/70 but with the manual and towing the Caravan I though that might have been a bit too much of a jump.
Have had the 980 s fitted and initial impressions are good. Slight increase in noise but you have to really listen for it.

Latest posts

Back