UHF Install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav_brah

Reaction score
Hey there!

Dedicated my Saturday to the installation of my UHF radio in the Nav. The TX3200 comes standard with a telephone jack as the connector between the handset and the actual unit. I wanted to position this socket away from the main unit. Therefore, I decided to chop this connector off and use a 4pin steel connector found on marine radios and other items. I then ran the socket end and directly soldered it to the board on the radio. I did this because i didn't have access to a 6p6c telephone socket and didn't want to spend 15 hours trying to wire up thicker wire into these annoying sockets.

I ended up putting the unit in the centre console for easy access. I used 12v from the cig lighter socket. Very convient. Already fused and connected to accessories.

tsImvPG.jpg

I ran the extended handset cable under the dash around bits and pieces to a hole i drilled on the drivers side. It was a massive pain screwing in the socket into the dash tight as its so tight behind there!

aSQvKOt.jpg

GD6Pzmr.jpg

While the dash was apart i also ran an external speaker and bolted it under the dash on the drivers side. This is so i can actually here people im talking to clearly. Its excellent with the windows up but NOT that great with the windows down. Might have to add an in line amp to boost the volume.

bSdTJIs.jpg

Very happy with the way it turned out. Hardest part was running the antenna cable through the fire wall into the car. Had to pull the glove box apart trying to find where it was coming through. Bogged up the hole I made good with some silicon.

Cheers

Love your quality of work mate.

Where did you get the extra cable etc ?

Just picked up some 4 core cable from my local jaycar. Any electrical place will sell it. I found it interesting however that the cable connected to the handset had 4 cores and a shielding but one of the cores was not in use. Found this out by pulling apart the handset.

Very happy with the way it turned out. Hardest part was running the antenna cable through the fire wall into the car. Had to pull the glove box apart trying to find where it was coming through. Bogged up the hole I made good with some silicon.

Cheers

Hey Nav_brah, I would really like to know how you got the cable thru the firewall on the 550. I've tried pushing thru beside the grommet on the LH side behind the fuel filter without any luck. Where, how did you do it. Any pics?

The gromet comes out real easy , once out get your fingers at the back of the gromet as so you can feel the wires behind , while feeling the wires ( you will see where at the front of the gromet ) where you can pierce it , best way ( strange as it sounds ) use a steak knife to put a half inch slit in it , keep your fingers in there as to feel the wires and not to cut them , ( better your finger then the loom ) , sounds complex but its not , just be carefull , spray it with a bit of wd40 and use a coat hanger from the engine side as a mouse , the inner will come through behind the lhs kick panel , i pulled 4 large power cables and 4 lots of rg 58 cable through no problems , when done pop the gromet back into the fire wall

Hey Nav_brah, I would really like to know how you got the cable thru the firewall on the 550. I've tried pushing thru beside the grommet on the LH side behind the fuel filter without any luck. Where, how did you do it. Any pics?

Hey. I had a lot of trouble breaking through the fire wall. I went through the LH side behind the glove box. I got a piece of steel wire and pierced the grommet and poked it through as far as i could then reached for it behind the glove box. It was basically a poke and feel and hope situation but I got it after a bit of persistance.

Good luck mate.

i went through the drivers side grommet behind the fuse box\computer thing.
easy as i used a plastic coated clothes hanger.

Latest posts

Back