Unhealthy D22 x 2

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobys

Reaction score
I have 2 twincab 2.5L manual 4x4's. both are about 4 years old and run like chaff cutters. They have only done about 120k. There is very little power down low. Like the turbo is not there. Besides oil and filter changes etc, is there anything else to look at? Maybe blocked cats or other piping blocked.injectors not doing the job? I don't know. Also the back leafs have lost their bushes, so the shackles are bouncing around with metal on metal. Does anyone know of a decent Deisel bloke in Melb northern suburbs that could diagnose and fix these slugs? Thx in advance . Steve

Egr mod andFree flowing exhaust will get it on boost earlier
Contact zordo for new springs and shocks
Good for another 100k

First thing I'd do is clean up around the turbocharger inlet, then remove the hose and inspect the turbocharger. Spin the impeller with your finger - it should rotate smoothly (no gritty feel) and the shaft shouldn't wobble. If it's a little heavy to turn that's ok, but if it's sticking there might be hardened deposits in the bearings preventing the turbo from spinning up properly. This will ultimately lead to its failure.

If the turbocharger is working properly, ensure that there's no exhaust leak. This includes the EGR piping. Consider blocking the EGR to improve the engine's efficiency.

As a temporary test, remove the hose from the air intake in front of the turbocharger (this hose runs back to the top of the camshaft cover) and tie the hose to the firewall. Block the inlet in front of the turbocharger (that this hose came from). If you immediately get a big improvement in performance, chances are the piston rings are gummed up, misaligned, or the cylinder bores/pistons have damage causing excessive blow-by.

You could check that the wastegate on the turbo is operating properly. While not a Navara, this video might help. If the wastegate is not functioning correctly, the turbo won't spool up properly and you'll feel underpowered.

If they haven't had the EGR's blocked then the inlet could be blocked up restricting air.

image-692583175.jpg

Like this one.

Thanks for the clues to this problem. An ex diesel mechanic had a quick look and reckons the wrong oil has been used in them. He rattled off that we were using 10w? And it should be 5w? (don't quote me on that). So we dump it ran new stuff an a cleaning product thru , then dumped again and drove them to lakes entrance and back. They seem to be running about 50% better than before. So I guess that will do for now. Hope so :)

Others will disagree but the YD25 is a pretty crap motor, i'd just put it down to it being to small and underpowered for the D22, Nissan should put the ZD30 common rail in the D22 even if it costs more its still going to be better.

Latest posts

Back