Upgrade the original halogen driving lights to LED what could be simpler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was speaking to someone a while ago and they said they got rid of their [stop/start] car because the battery and starter had to be replaced just after the warranty expired...big bucks
I’m trying to talk the wife out of buying a new car with this function for this reason at the moment and honestly she just doesn’t seem to get why I’m against them we keep our vehicles for good 10 years normally so once warranty is out I don’t want major expense it’s same if I get hybrid 5 to 8 years new batteries are needed and worth more than the darn car itself to replace

I’m trying to talk the wife out of buying a new car with this function for this reason at the moment and honestly she just doesn’t seem to get why I’m against them we keep our vehicles for good 10 years normally so once warranty is out I don’t want major expense it’s same if I get hybrid 5 to 8 years new batteries are needed and worth more than the darn car itself to replace
That’s all a myth. Most hybrid cars batteries will almost last a lifetime of the vehicle. Yes they will degrade in their capacity over time like any battery. All you have to look at is the Toyota Prius. They built those years ago and still keep running. With original batteries. Only ones changed over would have been because of issues. And you get that with anything including engines.
I hate people hating on things like that over fear mongering by people that are afraid of change. Yes even electric cars. They all have a place in society. But in saying that. I’ve never been a fan of the stop start technology of vehicles. I used to drive a vw transported. Hated the sound it made every time the engine would switch back on

That’s all a myth. Most hybrid cars batteries will almost last a lifetime of the vehicle. Yes they will degrade in their capacity over time like any battery. All you have to look at is the Toyota Prius. They built those years ago and still keep running. With original batteries. Only ones changed over would have been because of issues. And you get that with anything including engines.
I hate people hating on things like that over fear mongering by people that are afraid of change. Yes even electric cars. They all have a place in society. But in saying that. I’ve never been a fan of the stop start technology of vehicles. I used to drive a vw transported. Hated the sound it made every time the engine would switch back on
My daughter has a chr hybrid Toyota the dealer advised her to trade it before it gets to 8 year old mark as battery will need replacement and won’t be worth it to keep the vehicle so that’s the info I’m speaking from she has literally pre ordered a new one now hoping it will be here when hers runs out of warranty in 18months time

My daughter has a chr hybrid Toyota the dealer advised her to trade it before it gets to 8 year old mark as battery will need replacement and won’t be worth it to keep the vehicle so that’s the info I’m speaking from she has literally pre ordered a new one now hoping it will be here when hers runs out of warranty in 18months time
Lol. Of course a dealer is going to tell you that. I’m surprised he didn’t say directly after the warranty ends. Drum up business a little easier that way. Real world data shows no issues with any hybrid vehicle battery lasting the lifetime of a vehicle. As for capacity by the end of it is another story.

Lol. Of course a dealer is going to tell you that. I’m surprised he didn’t say directly after the warranty ends. Drum up business a little easier that way. Real world data shows no issues with any hybrid vehicle battery lasting the lifetime of a vehicle. As for capacity by the end of it is another story.
Maybe I’m wrong but wouldn’t the batteries be like any other battery and have a limited lifespan surely they are not capable of endless cycles so the car life time would surely outlast the batteries usable lifespan I’m not the smartest tool in the shed but I do know that their is no such thing as an endless life battery a car has an unlimited lifespan for as long as we keep replacing worn out components the vehicle is still usable where as a battery will only accept a charge for a certain number of cycles until it finally for want of a better word dies

Maybe I’m wrong but wouldn’t the batteries be like any other battery and have a limited lifespan surely they are not capable of endless cycles so the car life time would surely outlast the batteries usable lifespan I’m not the smartest tool in the shed but I do know that their is no such thing as an endless life battery a car has an unlimited lifespan for as long as we keep replacing worn out components the vehicle is still usable where as a battery will only accept a charge for a certain number of cycles until it finally for want of a better word dies
Plenty of prime examples out there. Prius drivers have had vehicles for the last 20yrs without severe degradation of batteries. Ie dying as you put it due to limited charge cycles. It doesn’t exist in cars. As I said earlier. That’s a sale tactic for you to go back. Even teslas that have been around for the last 10yrs with lithium batteries aren’t having these issues.

A few years ago a colleague at work in Ireland bought himself a Honda Insight hybrid 2013 +/- model nice and clean good condition etc, about a year later found out the batteries need replacing and cost him a few thousand Euro's

Personally I don't think electrics have reached their peak yet. Batteries are still in development, motors have come a long way but could still do more.

Battery life depends greatly on a number of things. If you don't drive the car every day, you're not doing a charge cycle every day and this means you're not impacting the life of the battery. If you maintain the battery in a nominal temperature range its life will be extended. Take it out in the desert regions of Australia where the overnight temps will freeze the balls off a brass monkey and the daytime temperatures saute the poor monkey and battery life will suffer. Newer technologies will combat this more.

The other thing to remember is that while you're using an electric motor you aren't consuming fuel or oil. There's no gearbox or clutch. The brakes are regenerative - rather than applying pads to discs to slow the vehicle, EVs push a generator with the car's momentum (it's a function of the electric motor and its smart circuit). So you'll probably find that the highest wearing item in the car will the windscreen wiper blades, instead of oil, fuel and air filters etc.

If you add up those reduced service costs over the life of the vehicle, you may just find that the replacement cost of the battery isn't as ominous as it seems when simply looking at the base cost.

And that too might change. There's talk about using replaceable batteries in packs for EVs rather than having them built into the structure. There's a company here in Australia that does this with trucks, and rather than having to stand beside the truck for half an hour while 800 litres of diesel is pumped into the tanks, the trucks are changing batteries in about a minute. That beats a Tesla by a long margin. It means that you would pull into a service station, pop out the expended pack, pop in a charged pack, pay for the exchange and drive on - which could take just a couple of minutes (even with a queue to grab some more Red Bull and a pack of durries).

Replaceable batteries mean that your car's life is not restricted to the battery at all. Manufacturers may not like this particular path, but there are so many advantages to it that it might eventually see the light of day.

https://www.januselectric.com.au/

Personally I don't think electrics have reached their peak yet. Batteries are still in development, motors have come a long way but could still do more.

Battery life depends greatly on a number of things. If you don't drive the car every day, you're not doing a charge cycle every day and this means you're not impacting the life of the battery. If you maintain the battery in a nominal temperature range its life will be extended. Take it out in the desert regions of Australia where the overnight temps will freeze the balls off a brass monkey and the daytime temperatures saute the poor monkey and battery life will suffer. Newer technologies will combat this more.

The other thing to remember is that while you're using an electric motor you aren't consuming fuel or oil. There's no gearbox or clutch. The brakes are regenerative - rather than applying pads to discs to slow the vehicle, EVs push a generator with the car's momentum (it's a function of the electric motor and its smart circuit). So you'll probably find that the highest wearing item in the car will the windscreen wiper blades, instead of oil, fuel and air filters etc.

If you add up those reduced service costs over the life of the vehicle, you may just find that the replacement cost of the battery isn't as ominous as it seems when simply looking at the base cost.

And that too might change. There's talk about using replaceable batteries in packs for EVs rather than having them built into the structure. There's a company here in Australia that does this with trucks, and rather than having to stand beside the truck for half an hour while 800 litres of diesel is pumped into the tanks, the trucks are changing batteries in about a minute. That beats a Tesla by a long margin. It means that you would pull into a service station, pop out the expended pack, pop in a charged pack, pay for the exchange and drive on - which could take just a couple of minutes (even with a queue to grab some more Red Bull and a pack of durries).

Replaceable batteries mean that your car's life is not restricted to the battery at all. Manufacturers may not like this particular path, but there are so many advantages to it that it might eventually see the light of day.

https://www.januselectric.com.au/
Sound mind old tony. Unfortunately most people like above hear one story that could have been impacted by faulty equipment and make their mind up instead of looking at a whole picture. Don’t get me wrong there is still a long way to go in order for it to be accepted mainstream but since ‘Tesla’ started this race it has come leaps and bounds.

And don’t get me wrong like I’m not some hippie on the battery bandwagon. I have a big V8 sitting in my garage that I will never let go. Comes out for weekend trips. And I have a leaking oil, diesel drinking daily driver.

I got a lift into Newcastle yesterday in my mates new BYD EV. Smooth ride, quiet but i dont like the big computer screen sitting up in the middle of the dashboard with a small screen in front of the steering wheel.
One thing i noticed coming home on the link road [expressway] at night were the headlights. New cars have lights that light roughly 20 meters in front of the car, then there is complete darkness on normal beam. Because it was a duel road, the auto high beam did not switch on if there were cars on the other side but here we were doing 110 kph and staring into darkness. I know there is wire fencing along this expressway to keep animals out but the occasional Roo does comes down the on or off ramp.

Seen the yt vid on BYD cars catching fire , very embarrassing when you new model in camo catches fire in the middle of a city ....!

Have a friend whos a black cab driver in London , they are being forced to buy electric cabs , one small problem is not enough chargers and they are being caught out when asked to do long journeys [ airport runs] as they cannot complete the journeys without stopping to charge or have not got the range and do not know the reliabilty or availability of chargers to an unknown area ..guess what the customer says ...!

If i wanted an electric vehicle i,d buy a forklift ..at least i know it can work all day on a full charge [ must have good battery ] and i could pull dead battery packs and rebuld as they fail ..try doing that with your tesla

Seen the yt vid on BYD cars catching fire , very embarrassing when you new model in camo catches fire in the middle of a city ....!

Have a friend whos a black cab driver in London , they are being forced to buy electric cabs , one small problem is not enough chargers and they are being caught out when asked to do long journeys [ airport runs] as they cannot complete the journeys without stopping to charge or have not got the range and do not know the reliabilty or availability of chargers to an unknown area ..guess what the customer says ...!

If i wanted an electric vehicle i,d buy a forklift ..at least i know it can work all day on a full charge [ must have good battery ] and i could pull dead battery packs and rebuld as they fail ..try doing that with your tesla
haha.. the stand-up forkifts.

The last one I drove was LPG powered by a little Nissan 4 cyl, I don't know what voodoo they did to that engine but it was indestructible.

Latest posts

Back