Vehicle Regulations

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a difference of approach there, too.

The exhaust shop knows that the CAT is a restrictive device that is only there to (mainly) remove oxides of nitrogen from the exhaust stream (these are dangerous). For performance's sake - and I'm going to guess that the exhaust shop is looking from that angle - you really don't want the CAT, DPS, muffler or anything beyond the small amount of pipework needed to deflect the exhaust away from the motor.

Look at some really high performance engines - drag cars. I'm willing to bet Vic Bray doesn't have a DPF light on his dash. :big_smile:

I think we have to find "the best possible solution that still fits within the law". For some of us that's just the stock system and leave it be (that's me waving my hand right there). Others will want to get a little extra flow, faster spooling-up etc etc - there are ways, but there are penalties for going outside and I'm bloody glad that you are keeping this issue alive as a reminder to us all that we can get into some seriously hot water if we're on the other side of that regulatory line.

Yeah cheers for that info Maddog, I suppose it is easier to sit on the net and try and find things but they never seem to be spot on. Calling them would always be the way to go to get right answers.
Now its just making up your mind how far you want to go and spend!

i found in ADR lists a whole bunch of info, and this came to my eye since i'm doing exhaust modifications...

by the way, light goods vehicles, or the cars we drive, are known as NA category (goods vehicles under 3.5GVM)

dbchart.png

Be careful with exhaust mods. The workshop which modified my Commodore LS1 told me basically as soon as you change the stock exhaust/headers for a performance increase you will pretty much be outside the emmissions as per the manufactures spec.

In WA in the near future police will carry portable emmission testing equipment for roadside tests. We all know there are plenty of old run down pollution belching pieces of crap out there but they always seem to avoid being put off the road and those with well maintained and cared for cars abait maybe with mildly illegal exhaust systems end up with the unroadworthy sticker or worse emmision violation fines.

i love the fact my cruiser has no emissions control (well, muffler still counts as noise emission reduction), but otherwise nothing else.

its just lame how even though all these new cars are so much more efficient and less polluting that they decide to put stricter and stricter laws in place.

UPDATE:

went into the pits yesterday to clarify some laws/regs with the head inspector...

1. TOTAL lift of any 4wd is 50mm, anymore and you require a lane change test plus engineering approval

2. BIGGEST tyres we can go to is 33.5"

3. Spring Over conversions in WA are LEGAL, but still require a lane change test and engineering approval

4. exhaust sound levels arent too well known by cops, so the general rule for cops is 91dB on ALL cars

5. beadlock rims which are custom made by a company are legal, however, to weld beadlock rings onto existing rims yourself is ILLEGAL are you aren't allowed to weld rims

6. tray back utes can have an exhaust which exits 230mm past the last panel (the cab) and pointing down or right at a 45 degree angle

7. body lift blocks are LEGAL, 50mm max

8. once again, 50mm TOTAL lift, not 50mm tyres + 50mm suspension + 50mm body lift

so my question...who here is good and playing by the rules? i know i aint, with 2 inch leaf springs and 33 daily driving tyres

man thats good info! interesting about the tyres, so it doesnt matter what size factory tyres it came with, all cars can have 33's?

since most 4wd's roughly come out with the same size tyres (obviously you cant compare a siera to a landcruiser in terms of factory wheel sizes), but these days the general tyre size seems to be around 265/75/r16, so 33's are generally the most accepted size for aftermarket tyres.

everyone i know pretty much runs 33's for daily driving/offroad whether its a landcruiser, a navara, a patrol, a maverick, etc. a fair few run 35's, but i cant be justified spending all the extra money for bigger rubber for tyres that will see mostly road.

Sorry to dig up old thread maddog, just a small question, is it ok to do a 2" suspension lift and go from 265/70R16 to 265/75R16 or can only do one or the other??

rule of thumb for WA as a common guide...

2" body
2" suspension
2" tyres

though suspension and tyres are the better forms of lift.

so you'll be fine!

speedo might read ever so slightly different though, but i've run 35's and it wasnt too bad.

its rule of thumb basically

2" tyres doesnt make a big difference to speedo or braking

2" suspension isnt that high but allows for better flex and a better ride

2" body is really only for helping stop rubbing, but its not worth it in my opinion, but thats just me.

And as you say its 1 or the other not all 3
50mm of total lift so going from say a 255/70/R16 to a 265/70/R17 gives you about 10mm of actual lift so that means you only get to lift via suspension by 40mm.
The other thing is its up to you as the driver to know what your factory height was .

honestly, a cop would have to be very picky to go checking your factory tyre size then comparing it to your current tyre size.

as i say, if it looks illegal, it probably is haha

if you do bigger tyres with no lift, it looks like you got bigger tyres...
if you do bigger lift with stock tyres, it looks like you got bigger lift...
if you do bigger tyres with bigger lift, it proportions itself out and looks stock haha

its all about proportion and not sticking out like a sore thumb

its rule of thumb basically

2" tyres doesnt make a big difference to speedo or braking

2" suspension isnt that high but allows for better flex and a better ride

2" body is really only for helping stop rubbing, but its not worth it in my opinion, but thats just me.
2" tyres throw out your speed by 5kmh at 100 k,s
2"suspension lift allows you to fit 75s tyres which are 2" bigger than 70s tyres ,so you end up with 4" taller rig.:rock:

well i can tell for a fact it does,and had it tested...
when im sitting on a 100ks i go past everyone on the freeway.
i have to drop back to 95ks and then im doing the same speed as everyone else...hahaha

with my stock 31's i always over take people on the freeway and i'm only doing 100km/h...

i got the gps out and the iphone gps and i'm doing 100?

lol
well,when you get to fit 32,s you will find your speedo is out..so untill you have done it dont just GUESS things...
you been driving for 5 minutes and you think you r an expert...
bee told whats a fact...lolololol

my landcruiser is strange, at any speed below 80km/h its the correct speed running 35's, when its at 100km/h its actually doing about 105km/h

my dash needles must be tripping with age haha

my landcruiser is strange, at any speed below 80km/h its the correct speed running 35's, when its at 100km/h its actually doing about 105km/h

my dash needles must be tripping with age haha
well thats exactly what i have been telling you...
the speedo shows 100km but your doing 105km...
so now do u get it?hahahahahahaha

Latest posts

Back