Very noisy turbo for ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archenar

Reaction score
Hi All,

Happy Sunday. I was driving north on the Bruce doing between 90 and 100kph when I noticed when I accelerated the turbo started making a lot more noise. Didn't think too much of it until I had to drive back later in the morning, when accelerating it would be a lot noisier than the internal air fan would make. It is really bad. What could cause it? More background:
  • 175K kms on the clock
  • There is a fair bit of blow by (no oil can). This does seep out as oil from the tube between the air filter and an aluminium part which it sits on top of. Oil collects here too.
  • The engine at idle seems to push air through past the 3 clips which hold the air filter
  • When disconnecting the air intake near the turbo unit a lot of gases seem to come out of the return loop from the engine. Is that normal?
  • I use Penrite 10W-40 oil, semi synthetic.

I am not the best with teminology, but feel free to ask any questions. Just wondering what could be the problem.

Ta!
Arch

Hey mate. Doesn't sound like you're having a very happy sunday... I'd start by checking the bolts that hold the rear housing onto the turbo. It is a fairly common problem on the zd30 for these to come loose and cause the turbo to leak oil and make a lot of noise. I believe they are allen key bolts and some people have cut down an allen key to check and tighten them. I'd start with that and let us know how you go

"The engine at idle seems to push air through past the 3 clips which hold the air filter"

That doesn't sound good, i'd get a mechanic to have a look at it.

Arch,

I'll assume the noise is a whistle? If so, check the little allen key head bolts that hold the turbo housing together. Had it happen to mine, and a couple of customer cars, one will fall out and the rest may be loose, causing a exhaust gas outlet. No real apparent loss of power, just the noise.

The blowing back around the air filter housing, past the clips could be normal. If the seal is perished or missing, the intake air pulsing back and out through the air filter housing is quite common. No real problem.

Your blow-by may be perfectly normal, find the thread here and fit a catch can. Mine leaked that bad from the hoses on the intake from the breather on the engine that I took it back for a warranty claim, as I wouldn't even pass it for a Safety Certificate in Qld. Only to be told "that's better than most"!

Of course, I say "should be", as there is a possibility that you may have a serious drama, which I suggest you get a professional to check it.

Cheers Tanz.

Thanks all. I'll have a look for those allen key bolts. It indeed is a whistle, just a lot louder than the normal turbo whine. I'll keep you updated.

The egr pipe that runs from the end of the exhaust manifold, around the back of the engine is known to crack as well.

Latest posts

Back