Vibration From 100km/hr

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you should be able to unbolt a shaft turn it and bolt it back in.the shaft gets balanced not the entire driveline...but if you split the shaft in two (that center spline) then mark it and refitt it the same way.
Is it possible the front prop shaft didnt get balanced when it was rebuilt?

The driveshaft still has marks on it from where he split it, he told me it was balanced and charged me accordingly. there is a slight amount of up and down movement on the output of the transfer case. Maybe 1mm? Can anyone tell me how much vertical play you have on your Navara?

I'm wondering about the balance of that prop shaft as well, if the CVs are fine it won't be the diff - I wouldn't think that the crown gears are large enough to cause a vibration if they weren't balanced (but who makes a crown gear that is THAT far off balance anyway). Same goes for the pinions. Unless there's actual damage (and the inspection would reveal this) there's no reason why the diff would cause vibration.

Prop shaft, bent shaft, bent axles - yep. Too much toe-in or toe-out could do it. Crap tyres could do it. A warped brake disc could do it, but you'd expect to really notice that a lot under brakes. Ahh, here's a question.

Do you notice it more while accelerating, coasting or braking?

I'm wondering about the balance of that prop shaft as well, if the CVs are fine it won't be the diff - I wouldn't think that the crown gears are large enough to cause a vibration if they weren't balanced (but who makes a crown gear that is THAT far off balance anyway). Same goes for the pinions. Unless there's actual damage (and the inspection would reveal this) there's no reason why the diff would cause vibration.

Prop shaft, bent shaft, bent axles - yep. Too much toe-in or toe-out could do it. Crap tyres could do it. A warped brake disc could do it, but you'd expect to really notice that a lot under brakes. Ahh, here's a question.

Do you notice it more while accelerating, coasting or braking?

The vibration comes in at almost exactly 100km/hr and doesn't stop the faster you go, I don't notice it any other time. I don't believe it can be the tires or brakes as the tires have been replaced balanced and aligned and it doesn't vibrate with prop shaft out. It has to be something with the drive-line. I'm starting to think transfer case output bearings now, just looking into if its easier to rebuild or get one from the wreckers.

I thought the TF output bearing was a serviceable item (it is listed in the manual on P118 of TF.PDF).

After dinner I'll slip out and under and see if my prop shaft moves vertically.

Dinner was lovely - perfectly cooked steak, plus taters with wilted baby spinach, garlic and butter and broccoli ... all but the steak was home grown.

Anyway, my front prop shaft is so tight (on both ends) a nun would be proud of it. I guess that bearing is the next thing to look at.

That steak sounds great!! do you have any left over?

Thank you very much for that. I will follow up with the transfer case bearings on Monday and see the best option with rebuild or replace.

I have had issues with my 2014 ST and they are ongoing. Read my thread for more info. Some improvement had been made by replacing the front rotors but it's still their. Nissan also skimmed my rear drums but that made no improvement for me, perhaps something to look at for you. In the end, Nissan advised that their mechanics discovered that other new 2014 manual STs did the same thing and declared it a 'feature' on the ST manuals. They had the vehicle about 5 times and were never able to improve it. autos however do not have the issue mine had, so sounds like yours is something developed since its a few years old and obviously hasn't done it the whole time.

I don't want to Butt in too much.
But has anybody thought about the front wheel bearings.The left side has always been an issue,with the d40's.

Just food for thought.
;-)

Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's

I don't want to Butt in too much.
But has anybody thought about the front wheel bearings.The left side has always been an issue,with the d40's.

Just food for thought.
;-)

Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's

Hi, I have checked the front wheel bearings by jacking it up and checking the wheel movement and rotating them. If it was the wheel bearings would they do it all the time at 100km/hr not just with the front prop shaft installed?

Im sure we had a guy on here with a vibration problem he found a broken engine mount.grabbing at straws here tho

New cv

I bought this new CV FOR $110 from ebay. I changed the wheel bearings a little while ago and fu#%ed up the thread on the end on the right hand side.
I've had a couple of issues since lifting it 2". With the camber and bearings. I've been getting a weird feel like something is off balance and even when rolling at 15-20 kms I can hear it. I hope it's this side that's causing it.
I'll do a wheel alignment after as well now that I've adjusted the camber out to max.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 80
I'm no mechanic and not even mechanically minded but it reminds me of a problem I had years ago.
New front tyres and wheel alignment but as soon as I hit 90kph I got vibration in the front.
It turned out I had McPherson struts which was the problem and needed to be replaced. I'm still learning about Navara's so maybe it is a problem with front suspension.
Just guessing and hoping to learn something new with this subject.

I couldn't be bothered reading through the whole thread but I know that extended shackles will cause a vibration around that speed.

OK, so you get a vibration when going faster than 100kph, but that vibration disappears when you remove the shaft between the transfer case and the front diff ?

The front diff is always turning because the the wheels are locked to it, so if it were the front diff out of balance, it wouldn't make any difference whether that shaft was there or not.

Have you tried a replacement shaft ?

If a new/balanced/straight shaft still leads to there being vibration, then I would look seriously into the transfer case, particularly whatever is being turned (but not necessarily engaged) when that shaft is in place.

Hi Guys a bit of an update: I was looking at getting a secondhand transfer case. There were some on ebay for $500 but they suit a manual so no good to me. So I rang a local Perth wrecker who wanted to charge me $1320, after I finished laughing at him I managed to find one in Melbourne for $700 deleivered but it had done 168km, I wasnt prepared to risk it failing on me any time soon. So I called Nissan and ended up getting the bearings, seal and new yoke nut all for $186. I'll let you know how she runs after my machanic mate and I rebuild the case.

Hi Guys a bit of an update: I was looking at getting a secondhand transfer case. There were some on ebay for $500 but they suit a manual so no good to me. So I rang a local Perth wrecker who wanted to charge me $1320, after I finished laughing at him I managed to find one in Melbourne for $700 deleivered but it had done 168km, I wasnt prepared to risk it failing on me any time soon. So I called Nissan and ended up getting the bearings, seal and new yoke nut all for $186. I'll let you know how she runs after my machanic mate and I rebuild the case.

Good job man, transfer case would be a piece of piss. I rebuilt the gearbox for my last 4wd, easy as, you just need a few basic tools. (Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70zAu5aouwM )

Hi guys another update, I pulled the transfer case out the other week, when i drained it there was a metallic paste on the magnetic drain plug and when i got it apart I could see that the bearings weren't worn. They had actually spun in the alloy casing which had worn that out causing the bearings not to be supported properly hence the vibration. I had to source another transfer case its all in now and the problem is gone :)

Latest posts

Back