Want to put 33" but how??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattM90

Reaction score
I Have 2011 D40 ST.

I currently have a 50mm tough dog lift and 265/75r16 mud tyres which i think are 31" however i want to put 33" tyres on but what is restricting me is the front bumper. The back seems like there is plenty of clearance to fit them.

What i have the shits about is that my mate did same lift on his hilux and fit 33" with out any scrubbing and makes the car look a bit meaner. He fit one of those ARB bullbars that looks like it gave him more clearance.

Would this be the case with mine or will i just have no way of fitting 33' tyres.

what state do u live in? with QLD u cant go higher than 265/70/16 (approx 31") but also depends how picky the insurance company would be with the claim..... u can do it but just dont be looking like this 0_0 when insurance doesnt come to the party mate ;-)

what state do u live in? with QLD u cant go higher than 265/70/16 (approx 31") but also depends how picky the insurance company would be with the claim..... u can do it but just dont be looking like this 0_0 when insurance doesnt come to the party mate ;-)

NSW.

I see heaps of people with 33''-35'' here.

My insurance said they will cover any mod if legal and if they are notified

NSW.

I see heaps of people with 33''-35'' here.

My insurance said they will cover any mod if legal and if they are notified

they are everywhere but im just telling you the facts. same as guys with illegal tint..its illegal but people still put them on...totally up to them

insurance will cover what ever is legal. im just letting you know. thats all.

They are illegal in NSW on The D40 because you can only increase the standard tyre size by a 50mm for an off road or commercial vehicle.
so if you see, say a patrol running 33's that would be fine because of the size of the standard tyre

Tyresize.jpg

They are illegal in NSW on The D40 because you can only increase the standard tyre size by a 50mm for an off road or commercial vehicle.
so if you see, say a patrol running 33's that would be fine because of the size of the standard tyre

Tyresize.jpg

Jesus Lucky.

So would that mean my mates hilux with 33'' wouldt be covered if he flipped it?

if the standard size 255/70r16 is 31" tyre, then 265/75/16 is a 33" tire isnt it? or close enough? so the 50mm you are allowed to go bigger = 2 Inches... i thought 35" was illegal, but 33 is as big as you can go...

I have 285/75/16 tires on mine and the bloke from my insurance company came out and looked over the car said its all ok and that id be covered. But you proberly can trust them as far as you can kick them.

if the standard size 255/70r16 is 31" tyre, then 265/75/16 is a 33" tire isnt it? or close enough? so the 50mm you are allowed to go bigger = 2 Inches... i thought 35" was illegal, but 33 is as big as you can go...

NO a 265/75/16 is not 33".... it is actually 31.6" so most people say they are 32"s
33" is 285/75/16 or 255/85/16.
This was confirmed to me recently when i entered the "SON OF TRIALS" which uses tyre size to determine what class you enter in.

:deadhorse:

285/75-16 is actually more like 32.6". 305/75 is 33 i believe. but if you want to fit 33's all you need to do is trim the front bar a little bit and heat and hammer in the bottom of the rear part of the front gaurds and theres enough room

I found this calculator after a quick google search, so i thought a few people on this thread might like a read.

The actual calculater doesnt seem to work with the old copy and paste. but you can find it by clicking this link
www.rmftc.com/howtos/tiresize/tiresize.html

Many tire sizes are printed in inches either on the tire itself or in advertising. Yet, many common tire sizes are not provided in inches, they are printed for example as 285/75/16. This makes it hard to compare tire sizes when shopping for your new tires. This tire calculator is designed to translate metric tire sizes into inches.

To use this program you need three pieces of information. The tire width, aspect ratio, and wheel diameter.

The following are the three easy steps on using the tire calculator. We will use a tire size of 285/75/16 as the example tire size.

Enter the 1st number in the box to the right of Tire Width. The 1st number represents the tread width measured in millimeters. In the above example the number is 285.
Enter the 2nd number in the box to the right of Aspect Ratio. The 2nd number represents the aspect ratio of the sidewall versus the tread width displayed as a percentage. In the above example, the number is 75.
Enter the 3rd number in the box to the right of Wheel Diameter. The 3rd number represents your wheel size. This number is 16 in the above example.
The tire calculator will the calculate tire height and width for you in inches. Below the tire calculator is an example using the formulas to hand calculate the conversion from metric to inches.

Step 1: Key in the Metric Tire Size information.
Metric Tire Size

Step 2: To convert the tire size, click on the "Convert Tire Size" button.

Converted Tire Size

Tire Width:

Aspect Ratio:

Tire Width (inches):

Wheel Diameter:

Tire Height (inches):

Step 2: To convert the tire size, click on the "Convert Tire Size" button.

To run program again, reenter information in Metric Tire Size box and click on "Convert Tire Size" button once again to update the Converted Tire Size information.

Here is the example doing by hand for a tire size of 285/75/16.

The tire height is determined by using this formula:
((Tread Width * (Aspect Ratio / 100) * 2) * 0.0393700787402) + Wheel Size

Or

Using the above tire size of 285/75/16:

((285 * (75 / 100) * 2) * 0.0393700787402) + 16

= 32.83 for the height

The tire width is determined by using this formula:

Tread Width * 0.0393700787402

Or

Using the above tire size of 285/75/16:

285 * 0.0393700787402

= 11.22

So if we can't put 33's what's really the point of lifting the truck ? The whole point of lifting is to put bigger wheels to get u off the ground I'm with just car the whole point of been with just car is for mods that most will not insure . Or can't they insure it ? If not the law is bull shit I can't put bigger wheels on my 4x4? But kids and turbo the fuck out of there cars and risk people's lives ... getting over the system and how things work everyone should wrap them selfs in bubble wrap and stay inside but then they would make a new tax you for sittin on your couch

So if we can't put 33's what's really the point of lifting the truck ? The whole point of lifting is to put bigger wheels to get u off the ground I'm with just car the whole point of been with just car is for mods that most will not insure . Or can't they insure it ? If not the law is bull shit I can't put bigger wheels on my 4x4? But kids and turbo the fuck out of there cars and risk people's lives ... getting over the system and how things work everyone should wrap them selfs in bubble wrap and stay inside but then they would make a new tax you for sittin on your couch

Yep its defiantly a bloody joke.
i wish it was like some states in the USA where you can basically do what ever you like.

So we can all understand.. If i put 33" tyres on i will not be covered by my insurance as its a 'commercial vehicle" If i had a 4wd such as a landcruiser/patrol i could put them on.

33'' make it look so good..

Has anyone here risked it and put 33'' on the Navara?

People HAVE risked it. There is an alternative that you might want to consider, and that is a complete set of spare rims for off-roading, which insurance may not cover anyway (you should check, and if the answer is positive, make sure you get that in writing).

There are two reasons for fitting larger diameter wheels. One is aesthetics - the car looks a lot meaner and aggressive and if you're missing a bit of testosterone and this sort of thing gives you a woody then by all means go right ahead. On most states' roads, your vehicle will be illegal and either insurance will be refused or an obliging police officer will give you a canary for it.

The second reason - and the reason why you'd want to use a spare set of rims - is for differential clearance. You can suspension- and body- lift your car until the cows come home, but your diffs are going to stay at the same height. Increasing to 285/85R16s will give you 63mm more clearance under your diff. The point behind a suspension lift is to give you better ramp-over and elevate everything except the diffs. A body lift gives you better approach/departure angles and gives you the room to fit bigger shoes. Bigger tyres lift EVERYTHING.

The disadvantage in increasing tyre size is threefold.

1) You have less available power, because it requires more power to turn the wheel over - it's a longer lever.

2) You use more fuel (considerably more, particularly in traffic)

3) Your speedo and odometer become grossly inaccurate, so determining how fast you're going past the speed cameras, how long until your next service or how many km you've actually done on that tank of fuel is no longer a simple exercise.

Back