Weird Vibration, knock, then shut down

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsagoa3000

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2008 D40 King Cab with factory bull bar, safari snorkel, DP chip etc etc etc....

The other day I was going down this dirt road out bush and there was a small dip in the road and I was doing around 110km\h up this road and hit this dip. The impact was kinda harsh but by no means did it hit as hard as to bottom out the suspension or anything like that. Just enought to let you know that you were probably going a little fast for that sort of a dip. Anyways straight after I went through it and everything settled again, I heard this really bad vibration, but didn't feel anything and at first I thought it was coming from the music. Then it happened again and we all thought it would be best to pull over and see what it was. When I got out of the car, the engine was knocking really badly and after idling for about 5seconds it just stopped. I tried to start it again, and it wouldn't start. It would turn over, but wouldn't start. Then I popped the bonnet and had a loot to see if there is anything out of place and then I tried to start it again it it started straight away and no problems since.

Now the noise sounded like valve bounce...it was that bad.
My chip is just sorta tucked in under some wires etc so would it be possible that the minor bump that that would of recieved would of been enough to put the engine timing out??

Does anyone know of what on earth this could of been?

This is just another problem i've had with this car and the three that my family own all Thai built models, have all been the same....LEMONS.

I can't wait to get rid of it, but in the mean time should I be worred about putting a leg out of bed on a rual trip or anthing???

One question..

was this dirt road out in the bush on private property
or
out in a S/Forest
or
other land inhabited by other vehicle users??

I'm not sure either, I have hit some big pot holes/cattle grids completely bottoming out the suspension with no problems.

Occasionally mine wouldn't restart properly straight after a shutdown/turn off, had to wait 5 seconds before trying to restart otherwise it could cough and splutter, like a petrol flooded.

I don't see a knock sensor on the YD engine, only the VQ, but it sounds like it could have been that, Scotty. Page 247 of EC.PDF shows the likely VQ motor (Australian). There's no diesel equivalent in the manual, but it's possible that they've slipped one into the later models that my Manuel doesn't cover.

What we don't know is how much fuel was in the tank when this happened. It's entirely possible that the bounce was violent enough to cause the fuel to jump and the fuel pickup to suck air, causing (a few seconds later) the pump to momentarily deprime and the engine to cough badly, misfire and stop.

whats that got to do with his problem?

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I'll tell it like it is

I f'n loathe the braindead morons that drive around S/F tracks at those sort of speeds risking other peoples lives as I've seen many times and personally had it happen to me.

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

does that answer your what has that got to do with it.

:cheers!:

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I'll tell it like it is

I f'n loathe the braindead morons that drive around S/F tracks at those sort of speeds risking other peoples lives as I've seen many times and personally had it happen to me.

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

does that answer your what has that got to do with it.

:cheers!:

Dude chill out, He probably lives in WA where 110 is the norm.

Have a beer and relax.:cheers!:

I'm just suprised he was doing 110 in a KC, there was a bloke on here not long ago spent so much time complaining about his KC I thought they were all just a pile of nuts and bolts on the side of the road. :big_smile:

Dude chill out, He probably lives in WA where 110 is the norm.

Have a beer and relax.:cheers!:

Yeah it was on a major dirt road and it was out in the back of woop woop where no one else was around which is half of my worry if it decides to happen again. As for the fuel level, the tank was almost full which is again interesting.

I just got back from a work trip up to Laverton which was some 450kms away from home and I took up a 2010 Landcruiser V8 Ute towing my builders trailer which is around 1700kg. The fuel consumption of that thing nearly made me cry returning around 20lt/100km sitting on highway speeds and only 20,000km on the clock. And my navara freakin WAY out towes that thing as far as performance, and the ergonomics of the landcruiser are dismal at best. Finallly the wind noise was really really loud around the cab on the highway. I thought that my rubbish D40 king cab was a bucket of puss and before this trip I was looking forward to getting rid of it to get a landcruiser, but now I'm not so sure.....maybe DMAX???

Aaaaherm......Have heard good things about the Dmax. Its built in Thailand too. But that factory must pay better because they seem to pay a bit more attention.

Meanwhile back at the Nissan factory....
papermask.jpeg

Back