Welding on a D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woosha

Reaction score
Hello all I'm making a flat tray for my dual ca D40 and was wondering what's people's thoughts on performing welding on the Navara's. Is the disconection of the battery enough to not harm the vehicles electrics? The earth clamp on the welder will be close to the welding job. Most of the welding on it will be tack welds so I can remove and fully weld away from the vehicle. I have all the mounts square etc and just need to tack in place for the time being.

Cheers Woosha

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

just disconnect the main battery and turn on the headlight switch so all power is out of the system and start welding.

As above. Power only flows in a circuit. You can get stray currents happening but they usually only occur in close proximity and still need a circuit of sorts to flow. It's entirely possible to kill the ECU by welding close to it - if you must weld near there you need to remove the ECU. Same goes for the BCM (under the dash) and the TCM (inside the auto gearbox). Keeping the earth point as close as possible does minimise the risk. Using oxy acetylene (I love that stuff) reduces the risk even further but if you're good at MIG (and I can say quite assuredly that ScottyBobcat is a bloody marvel at MIG welding) then a quick tack weld shouldn't cause any drama at all.

that spike guard is only needed if your going to weld with the battery terminals still connected, just like the exhaust fitter guys use. no battery connected= no spikes.

disconnect battery, keep earth as close as possible to where youre welding and dont weld with the earth on one side of a bearing and the weld on the other, the arcing across the ball bearings will stuff the bearing

Latest posts

Back