what air compressor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the ARB guy said you can't use the ARB locker compressor to inflate tires as its to small (25l/m). you have to fit the high flowing model (75l/m).

i see plenty of comments of cheapys dieing when using on lockers due to the higher pressures involved. but theres cheapies and then theres cheapies.

the ARB guy said you can't use the ARB locker compressor to inflate tires as its to small (25l/m). you have to fit the high flowing model (75l/m).

i see plenty of comments of cheapys dieing when using on lockers due to the higher pressures involved. but theres cheapies and then theres cheapies.

I will check what size mine is, it pumps them up really quickly.

has anyone had any problems with air compressors mounted in the engine bay as in heat or water or those sorts of things

from a lot of the posts i see on the net it seams heat is the big killer. so fitting it in an engine bay is proberly not the best idea.

i got the big projecta in the end. 150lph model. as i don't have air locker i have no need for high pressure which is what seams to kill a lot of the cheap ones. fitted behind the seat easy enough.
the wiring on it is realy suspect. the fuse connection was badly done. fingers crossed the wiring in the motor is ok. i's chopped most of the wiring off and permantly wired it in.

from a lot of the posts i see on the net it seams heat is the big killer. so fitting it in an engine bay is proberly not the best idea.

i got the big projecta in the end. 150lph model. as i don't have air locker i have no need for high pressure which is what seams to kill a lot of the cheap ones. fitted behind the seat easy enough.
the wiring on it is realy suspect. the fuse connection was badly done. fingers crossed the wiring in the motor is ok. i's chopped most of the wiring off and permantly wired it in.

i just bought a boss compressor of ebay it says it can handle up to 200 psi i only need 135 in my tank is yours mounted behind the rear seat thats where i hard wired my old one but it got really hot and fried itself i was thinking of putting 12v computer fans through the rear wall that cut in and out with the compressor to bring in cool air do you think that will help

Hey guys,

I too had a chinese cheapy from Supa Cheap Auto. It was dinky and cost about $100. It did the job for three years but I didnt use it much, it took forever to pump up each tyre and in the end I got the shits with it. In hot ebvironments, they trip the overheat switch before you can pump all 4 tyres.

I recently bought the Bushman Auto Max (2nd from top) coz they ran out of the top model. I paid about $330 on special from Ranger Camping. I love it! Very well made, three year warranty, great fittings, quiet, and pumps up my 275/75/r16's in about 70 seconds per tyre (17 to 35 psi).

Why did I wait so long to upgrade. Very happy with the Auto Max.

DJ

Last edited:
i just bought a boss compressor of ebay it says it can handle up to 200 psi i only need 135 in my tank is yours mounted behind the rear seat thats where i hard wired my old one but it got really hot and fried itself i was thinking of putting 12v computer fans through the rear wall that cut in and out with the compressor to bring in cool air do you think that will help

theres a big difference in heat between 135psi and 40psi. thats what i think kills a lot of the cheaper ones.

i tried the pump on my other vechile, it only took a few seconds to pump 30psi to 40psi (little tires) but it was suprising how hot the compresser got just with that small amount of use.

bolting on a 12volt fan on top of it is proberly a good idea.

if it got that in cool air just think how hot it will get when its only getting coooled by underboonet hot air.

finished the wiring today. finding 50amp fuses is a pain.
test run, 15psi to 40 in around a minute. it pumps it up faster than my deflater can empty it !

only thing is the air hose at compressor end gets very hot ! not sure how long its going to last.

Best place for big fuses like that is Jaycar, needed them for my dual battery setup.

My ARB compressor gets hot there too mate.

I bought a bushranger one when they first came out about 7 years ago. I think it was the max air. it has so far survived 3 fourbys, a saltwater dunking, sand, heat, bouncing around in the back of utes, dust and everything you can think of. it is now hard mounted behind the back seat. still goes strong. the only thing i've changed has been the hose and airfilter.

new years day it pumped up 8 31"s and 8 33"s without stopping. best money ever spent on an accessory.

yeah all air compressor's get hot.
i have the high otuput arb one and for a small thing it does a good job. but after pump 4 tyre's up it get's a bit hot, after 8 it's really hot but still works wicked.
yeah come pump's will cut them selves out when it get's to hot.
you should see the test's arb put there compressor's under i saw it on a 4wd monthly test.
1 was they put the compressor in an oven for a day while it was running obviously the cords's and air line's where insulated. but the pump still worked. they ran in underwater for close to a week, just air line and electrical cables covered for obvious reasons. it was interesting to see.

I got a projecta compressor not long after i bought my fourby. It seems to work quite fine for a coupla years until I staked a tyre last trip to flinders. damn thing was running but not pumping. I took the compressor head apart I think it blew a gasket. Sealed it up with blue silicon and works a treat again. I think the ones to use are the ones you can buy spares for!

modded the projecta typhoon a bit.
i didn't like how hot the connection and hose got after a minutes of use.
so i added a bit of cooper pipe and a small bit of decent hose.

the air hose fitting on the pump is a shocker. its has a TINY wee little hole for all the air to squeeze through. why they didn't just tap it out to the larger (more common) size beats me.
so i had to rumage through an old box of bits and found an odd adapter that was the right size. then took a drill to it and opened it up a few sizes.
then loctited the bugger in !

typhoonadapter.jpg

then curled up a small bit of copper pipe and joined a bit of hose on. used the orignal connection as its USA fitting which is not normally used here.
pics of it almost complete. just made a bracket to hold the copper pipe in place.

typhoonmod.jpg

typhoonmod2.jpg

its a bit rough but pumped a tire up from 10psi to 50psi and the copper pipe was fairly warm but no where near as hot as it used to be. the hose is a lot cooler which is what i was after.

finished air compressor

just a quick pic of it installed, mind the dirt its a working ute ;)

typhoonfin1.jpg

the ARB is very nice but is rated at half the air flow the typhoon is and is double in price.
i could have gotten a smaller cheaper one but i figured that if its doesn't run to spec i would still get the same flow as the ARB and with two heads the heat is spread over a bigger area. the heat is what kills the cheapies.
however if i was going to use high pressure (lockers or tank) the ARB would have been better. the cheapies seam not to like high pressures.
fingers crossed that the rest of the pump is ok. thats the risk you take with the Chinese crap.

of course big downside to the typhoon is the size. not a problem for me but i wouldn't want to try and fit it under the bonnet.

IMHO under the bonnet is not a good place to put a compressor.

my boss compressor has finally arrived havnt run it yet got to hard wire it in my nav with my tank and ill post up how it goes it looks promising though its a massive compressor with a winch size motor and big piston
album.php
album.php
album.php

Latest posts

Back