what could be causing this little clunk

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toms_d22

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just picked up my 2003 DX dual cab with 153k on the clock up from Alice Springs and drove it home to Sydney. When I depress the clutch pedal it is not smooth, it feels gritty and makes a squeak as well, will i need to get a new master cylinder? The other thing i have noticed is that when i take off in 1st the clutch engages and then i get a little shudder (the clutch seems fine, engages nice and smooth) then i get this little clunk. Just want to know what might be causing this?

The Nav does have tough dog shocks front and rear and has bags in the rear :)

Regards,

Tom

Welcome to the forum, Tom!

I'd wonder if it's the rear drum brakes releasing. It could be something loose in the suspension, it could also be the transfer chain getting a little movement. It would be interesting to hear it!

Hi Guys,

Just picked up my 2003 DX dual cab with 153k on the clock up from Alice Springs and drove it home to Sydney. When I depress the clutch pedal it is not smooth, it feels gritty and makes a squeak as well, will i need to get a new master cylinder? The other thing i have noticed is that when i take off in 1st the clutch engages and then i get a little shudder (the clutch seems fine, engages nice and smooth) then i get this little clunk. Just want to know what might be causing this?

The Nav does have tough dog shocks front and rear and has bags in the rear :)

Regards,

Tom

Hey mate welcome to the forum, maybe even your uni joints? Worth having a look under the ute while in gear see if there is any play in the shaft.. Either way also having a look around for anything out of the ordinary might help too. Good luck

I had a slightly simmilar problem, but it was hard to get into gear as well when i picked my nav up. Turned out when they pulled the clutch out that two of the prongs in there were snapped, and another part needed to be machined down, cant remember what though it was a wile ago.

Does the D22 have a 2 part rear driveshaft? The shudder on take off in a D21 can be a shot centre bearing.

Does the D22 have a 2 part rear driveshaft? The shudder on take off in a D21 can be a shot centre bearing.

Definately check that - same happened to me. Centre bearing was completely gone and the prop shaft would clunk and slap around within the bearing cage. Would squeel at slow speeds too.

Good luck

Thanks for all the replies gents, I had a guy come into work that worked for Ironman and I told him what my Nav was doing, he told me to leg the airbags down from 50Psi to 15-20, which I did and wouldnt you know it, the little clunk has gone, drives as sweet as a little nut :) :) :)

Thanks for the welcome guys, cant wait to get her onto the sand dunes at Stockton in a few weeks :)

Latest posts

Back