What do you take camping? Fridge, esky(s) or both?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What covers your cooling needs?

• Fridge (12v powered)

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Esky(s)

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • Both

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Pff who needs cooling, warm beer & rancid meat for me!

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Take my trusty esky in the back and the ARB fridge sits on a false floor in the back of the cab. Fridge sits too high in the canopy due to tradesman height drawers.

Long weekend in QLD coming up - usually have my mates 110L Waeco for the food and a 110L esky for the drinks to water down the alcomohol a bit. This usually does 5 adults for 3days / 2 nights. I just bought myself a CF80 Waeco, so that'll get its first good run through this weekend.

I bought an 80l Techni Ice in January (2010) for camping trips, after a fishing charter and 2 nights of boozing i was out of ice, and i used block ice. a friend had a Engel with a battery pack; his beer was much colder than mine and his wasn't dripping every time he pulled one out. 3 weeks later i had a 40l Engel and i couldn't be happier with it.

with a fridge you do need to be careful though; i had nothing but beer in it and hit the beach. driving at about 50Kph when i hit a dip, Nav got some good lift; my brother without seatbelt hit the roof, HARD. when we got to our fishing spot i realised 2 beer bottles in the Engel had smashed and completely vaporised into tiny glass shards everywhere. Beer and broken glass in a new Engel behind the condenser has a way of making you have a bad day. Had to empty it and hose it out warming it and my beer up. might not have happened in an ice filled box.

Anyway, thought i'd share my first bad experience.

Last edited:
techni ice 120 ltr,with ice on the VBS.....mmmm
the trick to keeping your food dry(not waterlogged) is to pack it in portions and DRYVAC seal them in bags,that way it can swim around the cold slurry and not get water logged..

greedy

been using 100 l ice cool in back of ute and 20 l ice cool on back seat for the travellers and then my mate kev bought me a 40 l engel last year the fridge is damn good but when i get back from the bush with a couple of animals or fish in the esky just grab a bucket of soapy water and its clean:closed:

I've gone from esky's to an aldi 3 way and an esky,but i bought a Engel 60 litre fridge/freezer today.Sent me broke but i'm super happy.

The 110lt waeco does the wife, and 3 kids, it stays permanatley in the back, as it to dam heavy to lift

Was just wondering whether you have the fridge on a fridge slide? I am about to get one installed for an 80lt waeco but was wondering on the lid opening issues with a canopy fitted. Regards Mark (new member today)

Got a 200L Evakool plastic esky (name escapes me). When more ice is available i just fill it with food and ice and go, just buy 2 or three new bags after about 2 or 3 days. For extended trips i take another small esky, with dry ice. Will keep EVERYTHING frozen, pull it out and into other esky as needed.

Mitch

Latest posts

Back