What to do timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subz123

Reaction score
Guys im comfused i got my timing chain cheacked out buy different places all said that the chain is not rattling or anything im using a genuine filter also the old owner used a genuine filter but on cold start i hear funny noises sort of a ratle nocking noise not sure what it is only when its cold

You got 3 choices:

1. Get the timing chain done anyway and be happy for a long time. ~$3600 for someone else to do it.

2. Don't do it and save ~$3600, but maybe have to fork out $15000 for a motor and fitting, paperwork to change engine number, etc.

3. Keep asking the same question everywhere until you get the answer you want.. Sorry I cant help on this one as I don't know what you want.

I think you could keep shopping around until someone says "oh yes, you need to do those chains" but really, unless the chains (actually tenstioners) are faulty/worn/damaged then there's little point in doing it.

You're always going to hear a little noise on startup. Injector rattle is not uncommon at all, and the older it gets the worse it gets. At idle, I had a rather bad rattle that I thought might have been my timing chains - it was the side of the airbox that had broken.

It is worth keeping in mind the cost difference between a change to dual-row timing chains vs a full rebuild after a failure, but I think there's a strong air of paranoia created by having a few timing chains let go over the years.

Remember that most people start researching issues on the internet when they experience those issues, so most of the people visiting this forum are here because they've got some issue or other. For each member here, there are 10 "out there" who either don't have the issue (common) or of the few that do have an issue, they don't use the internet to find an answer for it, they just take it to their mechanic.

Hmm i think its more paranoia im gonna go with my gut felling and say its the injectors coz i took it to a place were they have replaced the timing chains before and said that my car has no sigins of chain were so think i have to stop being paranoid

I have been told mine is fine but with 160,000 coming up I will be doing the conversion to the YD25.com set up when I go on holidays. I see it as cheap insurance both for the engine and my brain.

Try a good injector cleaner first, something like Liqui-Moly Fuel System Cleaner. It's a little dearer than some others, but it works and works well.

Injectors could also benefit from a sulphur replacement. They are noisier than they need to be because of the very low sulphur levels in our fuel. Adding something like Rislone Diesel Fuel System Repair might also quieten them down as it contains such a replacement and a lubricity improver.

i got paranoid over all the timing chain hype going around so i replaced mine. i had the good ol 3 second rattle on cold start up. checked my old chain with feeler gauges and it wasnt too bad. tensioners were only protuding around the 50% mark so im sure i could of got a few more years out of it. but in saying that when i went and picked up the conversion kit from paul at yd25 he showed me chains from vehicles with less than 100 000k's on them and all the links were fine except for one, the one that broke. so its a tuff decission and an expensive one

To me its a 50 50 call im bit scared that it might go on me but will see really appreciate the help boys . Gonna try the injector cleaner see how i go hopefully ill stop beeing paranoid do i add it to a full tank of fuel or do u have to buy pass fuel lines and do it direct

I think the paranoia has hit me too, I have a 2012 ST with 53K KM on it and it's gotten to the point where I'm thinking of doing the chain or trading in and getting rid of the thing, even though it has caused me 0 problems since new!

Having to be so reliant on the car for work, it has got me worried for sure.

I think the paranoia has hit me too, I have a 2012 ST with 53K KM on it and it's gotten to the point where I'm thinking of doing the chain or trading in and getting rid of the thing, even though it has caused me 0 problems since new!

Having to be so reliant on the car for work, it has got me worried for sure.

If its a Thai built d40 mate don't stress. I have a 2011 d40 and it is programmed that went the chain has reached the end of its life it will stall on a cold start. So im told. Ive done 94000 faultless Ks in my nav and swear by it.
Guys that have heaps of problems i think really need to ask them selve bow they drive it and do they maintain it:confused3:

don't let the paranoia get to you the timing chain will let you know if it has a problem it will start rattling well b4 it lets go unless you like to thrash your car all the time. They tend to rattle at start up for the first few seconds while the top tensioner takes up the slack you really cant miss the sound of it unless your deff. I did a good 5000ks with the rattle b4 I replaced the chain.

If you get either product that I linked to, simply pour it in the tank just before you refuel.
Man that stuff is good i fell my idle is alot smoother and injector noise has almost went thanks for the advise

"Remember that most people start researching issues on the internet when they experience those issues, so most of the people visiting this forum are here because they've got some issue or other. For each member here, there are 10 "out there" who either don't have the issue (common) or of the few that do have an issue, they don't use the internet to find an answer for it....."

Good on you Old Tony! A breath of common sense amid the common ranting on this forum. Couldn't have put it better myself!

Latest posts

Back