what to do to stop front end wandering?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

308bever

Reaction score
done 30,000 kms and finding that i`m all over the road, still has 50% of original tyres, started cupping on the inside front, rotated fronts to backs and had a good trustable wheel alignment done, this helped, but still tracks horribly, is it the crap stock tyres? i`m hoping to 275/70/16 hankooks AT before next winter, will they help? is it better to have maybe more toe-in to make it go straight????? driving me crazy............................ help please:deadhorse:

factory shocks are absolute garbage so start by replacing them, also chech for worn bushings in the front or back, when they go the car will start to feel all over the place. shocks are a 100% must for all d22 owners

Check draglink, but should be ok if ur cars only 30k old.
Probably always be a bit of wander in these rigs.

i changed the front shocks @5000km and all the bushes seem good to me still, do you know whether tyres change it much?

Mine did the same on the stock shitty tyres @25k, new a/t tyres and a alignment fixed it. At least you got new shocks as soon as you did.

i guess i`ll just keep rockin` along until the tyres are buggered or my arms fall off (((-;

It's possible to check the wheel alignment yourself. Nominal toe-in is 3-5mm (radial tyres) and 5-7mm (bias tyres) according to the manual. Has anyone checked caster and camber angles? These also play a role. Camber should be between -0.08 degrees to 0.92 degrees with "normal" being 0.42 degrees. Caster should be between -0.13 degrees to 0.87 degrees, nominally 0.37 degrees.

Springs, shocks and tyre pressures also play their part - you would have those right.

Now that the tyres are wearing in poor patterns though, they'll just amplify anything - and get all the more worse as time goes on.

Also when you pick up your new Navara wheel alignment is not part of the pre delivery, it's way out. So those first 10k will see a fair bit of abnormal wear.

the factory tyres used to be Bridgestone which were pretty ok road tyre. if you havent done an allignment yet go to the best shop you can find and have one, its not very expensive but be sure to find a good man to allign your truck since the majority of them are butchers.

If you really want that nice track straight ahead feel have the castor set at maximum allowable negative castor.

As mentioned factory alignment is usually woeful particularly if you have a bar fitted from new. They never check the alignment after or even before for that matter.

i might see if i can work out what the actual toe/in is on mine and go from there, thanks again blokes (((-:

Latest posts

Back