What to mod and what order????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stun2

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased the 'canvas' (2010 manual 2.5 diesel dual cab) and look forward to fitting/upgrading whatever the minister of finance and war allows.

Given that there is so much on offer I'm after any advice on what to fit/upgrade and in what order???

Cheers,

The Newbie

d22 or d40?

depends what ur wanting to do and how much cash?

Winch bar $1400
Lift kit $1700 fitted
uhf $400
spotties $900
snorkel $650 fitted
and bash plates $600 fitted

chunky tyres if u can sell the new ones

Welcome to the forum!

There are different things needed for different purposes. If you want to go sand, you don't want to load the thing up too heavy unless you go larger tyres. If you want forest it'll do fine like it is. Mud tracks and you'll want a lift to give you not only ground clearance but improved approach and departure angles. Desert will require extra fuel capacity, maybe a second spare tyre, water tanks - depends how you want to do it. Do you want to tow?

It's up to you. Things that you might consider regardless are:

* Snorkel. Get cooler air from up higher where there are less large particles in the airstream.

* Driving lights. While they do depend on where you're going, a basic 1xspot + 1xflood will see most needs met. IPF 800XS or 900SX (square/round) are good value, and watertight.

* In-dash navigation. You don't need to buy super-expensive but you do get what you pay for with the really cheap ones. Consider something that has Igo8 or TomTom as well as OziExplorer.

You can look through the garages here to get heaps of ideas. But now you've started here, tell us a bit more about what you'd like to do and we'll throw some more ideas your way!

I'm keen to get the family out and about before the kid gets too old and doesn't want to know us.
To start I'd like to have a good look around the Flinders Ranges and if I see an interesting looking track - I'd like to be able to explore it. Nothing heavy duty until my confidence, skills and knowledge increase.
Later on (a couple of years) I'm keen on a trip North from Adelaide to explore what's on offer in the red centre.
Apparently the starting budget is in the range of $2500 to $3000 and that'll be it for a while so I'd like to make the most of it in the short term.
Cheers and thanks for your suggestions

To do those trips you'll need fuel capacity, a snorkel, a decent air compressor, tyre repair gear. You'd be well served to raise the vehicle a little too - some of those outback tracks have deep ruts.

You won't get everything you need on that budget but you can cut some corners.

4 jerry cans ($120) will hold an extra 80 litres of diesel - cheaper than over $1,000 for a long-range tank, just a bit fiddly.

Get a stick-on TomTom or something similar rather than replacing the head unit. Just try to get one that has off-road tracks already, and preferably one that can read out street names.

A lift kit (as above) $1700. Your snorkel will set you back $650 - there's $2350 gone. Grab the jerry cans - and don't forget a couple of those food-grade ones for water. A good compressor will cost about $300 or so. Add tents and stuff and your budget is nearly out.

It's a start, anyway!

My lift for the D22 cost me around $900 self install. A TJM T15 steel winch bar was $1470 fitted, 180 Roo Lites $210, Uniden UHF with Explorist ariel pack $350 self install = $2930 Look for deals that are always on offer, when I bought my bullbar they were giving away a compressor with it
In a couple of years before you go on the big one invest in some decent rubber (the tyres you have with the right pressure go alright off road for now) with a light truck rating, depending on brand you'll be out of pocket somewhere around the $1200 mark for four of.

Food for thought!
Cheers Brad

Apart from tent etc, for first up purchases I would suggest a UHF (makes it nicer traveling in convoy), recovery gear including a shovel (even without a winch a passer by can help you by using YOUR snatch strap), fridge (and dual battery - not really required but I think you should purchase this early), compressor (portable or in car for beach driving). We did the esky thing and it quickly turned into a PITA. It limited how long we could be away from it all. Don't spend money on storage until you've done a few camping trips. Plastic tubs and soft bags for clothes are good enough for a while. Then, as suggested, look at what you want to do. I didn't put a lift kit and heavy springs and shocks on my cruiser until I had started doing the more advanced off roading and I put a snorkel on at the same time. The main thing I've observed is camping kit. People take all sorts of crap with them.

HTHs.

Cheers
Shane

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back